Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2006, 08:33 AM

Yes, It sounds like you're promoting Cozumel. I'm sure Cozumel will be where it was sometime soon. Good luck to all, spectacular place to vacation. Was wondering how Xel Ha made out. Did it suffer any damage? Would like to go back there someday.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Scott,

When we were at Cozumel in June I thought the place had essentially recovered. Sure, the piers were still being repaired and there was an awful lot of dead wood that seemed to be endless, but other than that it seemed like the old Cozumel to me. We also did the Passion Island tour and other than noting that some of the trees leaning and showed signs of broken limbs, it was beautiful. I think Alex said they had transplanted many new palms. The beach was pristine.

As Ian noted, that dead wood had vestiges of green around it as it recovered, and I'm sure in the almost two months since we were there it is much better.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:11 AM

Scott, Cozumel is recovering nicely. Still struggling with dead trees everywhere. One part that was disturbing was the condition of the shallow reefs. The storm covered the coral with sand and killed quite a bit of it. When I dove I was was seeing about 10 or 15 percent of the sealife you would expect. The recovery of the reefs will take a bit longer.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:41 PM

What a shame about the reefs, that place really took a beating.

Dave: Did the hut where they served the food still have sand all the way up to the last stair? Not sure I'd do Passion Island again. Would you go back there? It looks soooooooooooo nice on those Corona Beer commericals, but as I said, when we were there it looked like a war zone. I think that was just a few short months after the hurricane.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:16 AM
Administrator

Scott,

The sand had been relocated when we were there.

It was a nice excursion but I doubt I'll do it again. I didn't care for the long bus ride and then the boat trip. The tour didn't seem to last too long either. The 3 hours flew by. This was a view shared by many on our tour.

I also would have preferred more choices of food.

Closed Thread