Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2007, 08:21 PM

About how much do taxis cost? Do they take USD?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:27 AM

I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't bad. Yes, they take USD. Orient Beach is nice, but they charge for everything including the restrooms. We bought a drink coupon at one of the bars on the beach, which included 1 visit to the restroom. The beach near the dock is nice. Have a wonderful cruise!
Old 07-17-2007, 07:40 PM

Maho is a no go! Though it was interesting to see the jets land right over the beach, I'd have to say that the beach was not pretty. I spent the whole day there (St. Maarten) with a rented car looking for a perfect beach on our last cruise. We did not find one that was any prettier than Orient Beach. We got lost a lot and stressed out a bit for fear we wouldn't get back to the ship on time. We barely made it! We went to Orient beach on an excursion with Disney and thought it was great. The ship's excursion included lunch, chairs, umbrellas and free rest rooms and some rum drinks. I've heard Dawn beach was very nice too. Has anyone heard of Dawn Beach? Also, I don't think the beach nearest to the cruise port is pretty either but it is convenient I suppose.

Penny! I see by your cruise ticker that you're going on the Emerald in November!!! You lucky duck! (turns completeley green). I know it's going to be much nicer than the Sun Princess (dump). Good thing they put the Sun out to pasture! I want to hear all about your plans for this cruise! I'd love to sail the Emerald on a 10 day S. Caribbean soon, Oh I can almost taste it!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:19 AM

Scott, get busy and book it. I'm really excited and my husband is looking forward to the Sushi bar. We're doing the Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominca, St. Thomas, Princess Cays itinerary. Both itineraries are great, but I love snorkeling in Bonaire, Grenada, and Dominica. And of course, Trunk Bay. I'm almost convinced to book the December 23rd itinerary (next year) on the Royal. I could book 2 ten days for less than the one 14 day, but I've not done a New Year's cruise and it sounds like a great itinerary. I'm torn because of the price, it'd be about $7lk for a 2 week, but it sounds so nice. The Royal Princess is only 710 pax, so the service should be amazing. It goes to 3 islands I've never been to, Tobago, St. Barthelemy, and Devil's Island, French Guyana. Thankfully, I wont have to make up my mind until I'm on board the Emerald. Of course, this all depends on God's wishes whether I become a cancer survivor or victim. I'm praying hard to be a survivor for many, many more years! I have too many cruises I need to go on before I leave this planet. I sure hope y'all will book one soon!
Old 07-20-2007, 03:35 PM

We rented a car and drove all over the island, and our last stop was Baie Rouge - a beautiful beach. It was kinda hard to find - there was only a sign on one side of the road, so we drove right past it. When we realized we'd gone too far, we turned around and saw the sign (we had been facing the back of it before.)

There was a bar on the beach but no one approached us. They left us alone and there were maybe 15 people on the whole beach. It was wonderful, the water was fabulous, and there's a cool rock you can snorkel around if you have your own gear.

It was so busy around the airport that we got stuck in traffic and almost missed the boat, though! I can't imagine Maho would be so great - I think the planes would kick sand up in your face and I DON'T like that!

Read and post cruise reviews
Carnival Glory 4/2007
Carnival Conquest 2/2004

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, beaches, cab, closest, cruise, dawn, maarten, orient, philipsburg, phillipsburg, phillisburg, port, st, taxi, walk, water