Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 01:46 PM

We are interested it because it is an ecofriendly park. They have underwater rivers and caves that you can snorkel through. I did not see anything like that in Cozumel. The only remotely similar parks in Cozumel don't allow you to snorkel or float through them. If you know of any places like this, please suggest. I looked at both Chankanaab and Punta Sur but they don't look as nice. I also read somewhere that you are only allowed 5 people in a vehicle in Mexico which would mean that we would have to rent 2 vehicles. Anyone know anywhere different?
Old 07-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Just remember that beyond all the "eco" hype, Xcaret is still just a tourist attraction with an adjacent hotel and all the usual methods to remove as much money as possible from the visitors pockets - and unless things have chagned since our last visit, they take dollars but only give change in pesos.

Why do you need to rent vehicles? If you take the ship's tour you will be taken directly to Xcaret by bus.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:58 PM

I was looking into renting a vehicle to Xcaret but decided against that a while back. I figured out that the difference in price in doing the Xcaret thing on our own is not worth the trouble. We would have to rent a vehicle (or 2) if we stayed in Cozumel because I don't think we would stay in one place. I do realize that there is alot of hype with the park (Xcaret). So far, I have not seen a prettier place. They did not recreate the caves or beauty of nature. Is any park in Cozumel that pretty? From what I have read about Cozumel, is that it is a party and drinking town. We just aren't into that with kids with us. I would be more than willing to consider another excursion or route of travel in Cozumel just because the cost of Xcaret is so steep. So far, I haven't seen anything that I think compares.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Cozumel isn't just parties and drinking! It is a world reknowned diving and snorkeling location, lots of great beaches, and other things. Sure, it has no caves or underground rivers - it is an island after all.

I guess it is apparent that I don't care much for Xcaret. We've been there twice and frankly it doesn't impress me. LOTS of walking to get from one place to the next, poor signage, it isn't cheap, and the pathways are uneven and hard to walk on in some places. BTW, they sell booze at Xcaret too.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:56 PM

I'm not an antidrinking snob or anything! Just from all the posts I've read, I have noticed a trend towards people spending alot of time in different places drinking. If I was afraid to be around drinkers, I would never get on a cruise ship to begin with! I know that people are on vacation but that just isn't what we want to do when we are in a beautiful location. I would rather be out exploring nature. I think I have read some of your other posts and gathered that you did not like Xcaret too much. I know that everyone has their own opinion about things. Frommer's guide book recommends Xcaret, along with some places in Cozumel. I know that we are going to wish we had more time if we do decide to go to Xcaret. We are going snorkeling in Belize because of recommendations made here. We are going to 7 mile beach in Cayman and I am sure we will snorkel there. I would like to spend time outside and do something besides all snorkeling in Cozumel as well. If we pick Cozumel to spend time in, I will always wonder if we should have gone to Xcaret. If we pick Xcaret, I will wonder what Cozumel was like. My biggest beef with cruising is that we don't get enough time in the ports. If we could even spend a few hours into the early evening, it would give everyone more time to see things. I do not doubt that Cozumel is beautiful. To be quite honest, I have not booked this excursion because I am so confused over which is the best area to spend my time in. What is your recommendation for this port???
Old 07-02-2007, 08:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
The best cruises to take for visiting Xcaret are those which dock at Calica (the dock for Playa del Carmen). Why? Because Calica is right next door to Xcaret - really. As the crow flies it is maybe a half-mile. By bus it is more like 5 miles by the time you get there.

Dave, I know this is off topic and I am sorry. But I have not heard that saying for so long I had to comment. I remember my grandmother saying that once. Not often does one hear those great sayings anymore

IslandCruz

Yes, I know what you mean. My mother often said it too...that Calica was right next door to Xcaret.

Ha Ha Ha!

IslandCruz

Closed Thread

Tags
calica, cost, cozumel, cruise, excaret, form, mexico, park, port, ship, taxi, tesina, transportation, ways, xcaret