Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2004, 10:54 PM
I heard that Coco Cay (Royal Carribbean's & Celebrity's private island) was totaly trashed by Hurricane Frances. I asked Royal Carribbean about Coco Cay but could not get a straight answer.Only that their ships will no longer make it their port of call (stop there). I am going on my very first cruise on November 1st on the Sovereign of the Seas. Do you think that Coco Cay will be rebuilt by then?

Also, does anybody know about the condition of Nassau (the Sov.of the Seas second stop)?
Old 09-22-2004, 10:54 PM
I heard that Coco Cay (Royal Carribbean's & Celebrity's private island) was totaly trashed by Hurricane Frances. I asked Royal Carribbean about Coco Cay but could not get a straight answer.Only that their ships will no longer make it their port of call (stop there). I am going on my very first cruise on November 1st on the Sovereign of the Seas. Do you think that Coco Cay will be rebuilt by then?

Also, does anybody know about the condition of Nassau (the Sov.of the Seas second stop)?
Old 09-23-2004, 03:41 AM

Frase,

Royal Caribbean expects to be able to return to Coco Cay in two to three weeks.

The island was thankfully not "totally trashed". Structures are intact. The main issue is beach erosion.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 09-23-2004, 05:09 AM

Nassau is fine they are up and running, But all the private islands are shutdown, RCI, Princess, HAL. nobody is making private island visits they are either hitting Nassau or another day at sea or extending some ports of call.
Ecstasy ~ 04/03
Norwegian Sky ~ 09/03
Splendour of the Seas ~ 04/04
Rhapsody of the Seas ~ 10/04

Countdown to the Carnival Conquest
Old 09-23-2004, 05:52 AM

Hi Randy,

certainly not all private islands are shut down. The only island that was fairly badly damaged is Princess Cays. All other islands have already been included in the itineraries again or will be included within the next couple of weeks. Princess Cays has sustained some structural damage.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 09-29-2004, 07:09 AM

Frase:

We were just on the Sovereign 9/17-9/20. I had the same problem getting an answer regarding Coco Cay. We were told that we'd have a day at sea, that we'd actually go to Coco Cay, that we'd go to Key West. We ended up with a day at sea. Re: Nassau - it was fine. Cabbage Beach was a big disappointment, however. We were told it had been washed away (during Frances, I guess) and they had carted in sand to rebuild it. It was very large, grainy, sticky sand and the drop off from the shore was steep, not gradual. The surf was rough - we got knocked down trying to come back in to the shore. (Of course we were there between Ivan and Jeanne.) If you're thinking of going to the beach, try another one. The pier is greatly improved since the last time I was there ('95). We didn't get to do any shopping because by the time we got back from the beach and had some lunch everything was closed (5 pm). That surprised us since it was a Saturday night and there were 3 ships in port.

Closed Thread

Tags
carribbean, cay, coco, island, news, private, royal