Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2006, 07:27 AM

We are sailing on the Sun Princess October 21. Visiting subject ports for the first time. We like to snorkel, swim and shop. Any comments on best excursions?
Old 08-06-2006, 07:27 AM

We are sailing on the Sun Princess October 21. Visiting subject ports for the first time. We like to snorkel, swim and shop. Any comments on best excursions?
Old 08-06-2006, 07:29 AM

Sorry, first time ports we are visiting are Antigua, St. Lucia, Martinique and Grenada. Looking for best excursions for snorkeling and beaches.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:18 AM

For St.Lucia I highly recommend taking a tour of the island. The Pitons twin mountains are a must see, for snorkelling Anse Chastnet beach has the best dive spots.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:12 AM

Chooch,
I see you have only 30 days left before you leave on the Sun Princess, How exiting. But I see you haven't figured out what excursions to do yet. Remember, I'm going on the same ship on Nov. 10. Let me know if you find anything out.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:31 PM

Scott, really getting excited now! Only 4 weeks! We were going to book the Trunk Bay snorkeling excursion in St. Thomas through the ship, but do not want to leave so late. (1:30-5:30) With Penny's comments, we will probably just find a water taxi and get a cab. Haven't really booked anything solid for the rest of the islands, so I'll keep you posted. It's kind of tough since we are visiting islands we have never been on except St. Thomas. Not sure of the validity of off shore excursion companies. Still a little green in that area. But, I'll let you know!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:26 AM

For the ship's excursion to Trunk Bay, expect only about an hour at the beach, not enough for me because that one is a REAL beauty! I heard that if you go on your own, you'll be able to spend more time there. I have no idea what to do in Martinique or Grenada. I think in St.Lucia we'll probably do the Land and Sea, heard that one was the best. We want to go to a nice beach in Antiqua but don't know anything about which is the best for scenery and snorkeling.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:31 PM

Scott, I'll keep you posted on what we do. Even if we do nothing, I'm sure we'll have a great time. We like the beaches more than a land excursion, but I do like to visit some places of island history as well. So, to be on the safe side, we may book the remaining of our excursions with the ship. Probably just wait until we get on board to do it, though. We sometimes get varied opinions from other passengers while we are looking at the shore excursion office. The best advice is from someone who's been there!!
Old 09-25-2006, 06:49 PM

Yeah I know what you mean. We also like the beaches and we like to take worthwhile tours. Last time we went to Barbados we took a tour of 2 plantations and that was the highlight of that cruise. Like Penny, we also like to snorkel, but since my neck always bothers me when I do that, I can't snorkel at every island. In Antigua we want to find a really nice beach to go to. It must have hammocks of course, gorgeous scenery and a bar for drinks. Anyone have suggestions?? For that matter, any reccommondations for the same on Martinique and Grenada too? Chooch, I think that because there are so many stops on this cruise, it's really hard to sort out all the details, certainly easier for me because you and Penny will be going first then you can both tell me all about it! Boy am I lucky! I didn't get too exited with the ships excursion book that they sent, except maybe for the St. Lucia Land and Sea. I've heard that that one is not to be missed, but I could be wrong, I've certainly gone on a few bad excursions that came highly recommended in the past. There was a few sail/snorkel excursions that looked good as well. I am not afraid to do our own thing on the islands, away from the ship's excursions, makes it really exiting. Just be sure to carry at least 2 watches. My biggest fear is that my watch battery will stop. I have some friends who got stuck in St. Martin. They were lucky though because there was another couple that left thier small child on the ship while they went to go shopping. They called the ship and they came back because of the small child, but otherwise they wouldn't have. Yikes! If that did happen to you, just book a flight to the next island, no problem mon! One time when we went to St. Thomas on a cruise we rented a jeep and went to different beaches. That was a blast. I read that in Antigua and a few of the other islands that you're going to, you have to get a temporary license for $20. Renting a car and not knowing where you're going can be stressful. St. Thomas was easy, not too many roads to get lost on but we did get lost in St. Martin on our last cruise, should have gone on a beach exursion.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:39 PM

Hi Choochella, Sorry for the late reply I just read your post. Hope it is not too late to do you any good.

Antigua, Long bay beach is great for snorkeling. This is actually, my favorite beach. The sand is the finest anywhere. The reef is not far off the shore.

St. Lucia, I would recommend the island tour but go with a local taxi driver. Just get off the ship and find a local taxi that will do the same tour as the ships itinerary. You will see more do more and have more time to do it for less than half the cost.

Martinique, If you do not speak French you may not find this island as unique. They do have taxi drivers that speak English. They can take you on an island tour and you can see all of the highlights of the island including the small town that was buried in volcanic ash many years ago. If you speak French you might want to take the ferry to the small island just off the coast that the locals all go to. Warning it is a topless beach. You can stop at one of the local bakery shops and get some bread and some wine to have a French style lunch. This is also a good island to buy your fine French perfume.

Grenada, I would recommend doing the island tour with a local taxi driver. He can take you to the nutmeg factories and show you all of the island. This is really a very pretty island lots of trees and spices

As far as taking two watches and extra special precautions ---. We always just plan on being at the ship at least one hour before departure. Everyone on the island knows how important it is to get you back. Everyone will remind you and do everything to get you back in plenty of time. But you are the one responsible to get back. So if you are not comfortable - get back even earlier or just take the ships tours.

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread

Tags
antigua, beach, caribbean, excursion, excursions, grenada, island, lucia, martinique, reviews, ship, shore, st, tours, visiting