Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Administrator

susanmaz,

Yes, this it no doubt due to the U.S. Coca-Cola company's effort to kill the sugar-based Coke market. As I said earlier, they are allowing sugar-based Coke to be sold in select southwest markets. I just hope they expand it....or actually just abandon the fructose and go back to sugar! Many reports are out there about fructose being a reason for the increased diabetes in the U.S.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:34 PM

You can also generally tell a mexican [or caribbean/south American] coke as the bottle will be slightly greener. Your mouth will definately notice the difference. Not only does a sugar based soft drink taste better than HFCS one, you will be more refreshed.

BTW sugar is healthier for us than corn syrup. Corn syrup aka high fructose sugar has been linked to increase in obesity and one study I read indicates it feeds the 'stupid' gene.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
Yes it is true. Sugar is also used in limited production runs of U.S. made Coke for Jewish holidays, but this is only sold in limited areas (like NYC). But rather than go through the hassle of bringing back Coke from Cozumel, if you have hispanic grocery stores in your area they probably have the Mexican Coke. Ours do up here in north Alabama. There apparently is a robust business along the border, where people go to Mexico and load up on soda and then re-sell it back here in the states. I also read that Coke has started producing sugar-based soda again in the southwest U.S. - they are not happy with what they see as smuggling and decided to cut in on the business.

The Mexican soda has a lighter mouth feel and a better thirst quenching quality than the fructose stuff.

As for the cruise lines minding...well, it depends on the line and the quantity of soda you try to bring aboard. They may even hold it for you until the last day of the cruise, like they do with booze.

I love this site because I learn so much. I never knew one could buy Coca Cola without HFCS. That stuff is pure poison.

Read and post cruise reviews
Carnival Glory 2004
Carnival Liberty 2007
Carnival Inspiration 2008
Carnival Triumph 2008
Explorer of the Seas 2009
Old 08-19-2007, 11:25 AM
I've only just seen this comment.....I laughed my socks off great sense of humour

quote:
Originally posted by drlivingston:
Heed my advice!!! I bought so much quilted Charmin that their stock went up two points.

I never knew about the sugar either and I doubt if we could get the mexican coke easily in the UK.

Closed Thread

Tags
bottle, bottled, buy, coca, coke, cola, cozumel, date, dew, diet, drink, marking, mexico, mt, pepsi, plant, safe