Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2006, 09:44 AM

I will be going on my 1st cruise [my husband's 2nd] in January 2007. We're on RCCL Legend of the Seas with stops in George Town, Grand Cayman; Costa Maya; Belize City; Cozumel. I am looking for some input on excursions. We are looking for historic and informational excursions - no scuba diving, snorkeling, or ATV'ing for us.

In Belize I had seen a group tour to see Althun Ha and Belize Zoo with a minimum of 5 people. I'm a bit concerned about doing an excursion independently [I'm new to cruising but not to traveling] from the cruise line. We are going with a group so I doubt that getting 5 people would be a problem. Does RCCL offer anything like this?

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:05 AM

Wow, it's tough when you exclude water sports in the Caribbean. But, in Cozumel the Telhum ruins are great. There's a turtle farm in Grand Cayman. I think there are some ruins in Costa Maya as well. I guess there's always shopping. Best wishes!
Old 07-24-2006, 06:35 PM

We are re-thinking the snorkeling. I am an avid photographer and have looked into getting a digital waterproof camera like the Pentax Optio W10. Is it possible to see the fish without using the snorkeling gear.....keeping your feet on the ground?

Let me also add that I am allergic to the sun, per my dermatologist! I know...why am I going to the Caribbean??? Like I said, we love to travel. I'll use the SPF 50 sunblock as she recommended and also wear the light-block clothing. I just won't be sunbathing on the beach. So the sun allergy has played a role in the previous decision not to do water sports.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:33 AM

I understand completely. I have actinic keratoses and my dermatologist cringes when I tell him I'm going on a cruise. I wear my sunscreen, stay in as much shade as I can on the sailboats or catamarans that we take to our snorkeling excursions, cover my head, wear a wet suit, etc. However, I told him I will deal with the freezing, scraping, and scars, but I'm NOT giving up snorkeling. Anyway, in Cozumel, we did a swim with the dolphins at Chanakaab (sp?) Park pre-hurricane that was awesome. Xel-ha is a wonderful place for snorkeling and water sports. In Grand Cayman, we did 2 snorkels on wrecks and we went to Stingray City. I haven't been to Belize, but have seen some posts on this board about some excursions. Costa Maya is more of a tourist city and don't remember any snorkeling that stood out. One thing you might be able to do is a glass-bottom boat. I'm not sure what ports would offer this, we always snorkel, so I never look for those excursions. Since you are a photographer, Telhum would probably be of great interest to you. We did a half day there and a half day at Xel-ha. It was a long excursion, but absolutely worth it. Grand Cayman is a beautiful, clean island, but a land tour is not an exceptional photo op. Maybe go to 7 mile beach and snap a few pictures, then the turtle far, and, of course, Hell (although not much there). Do a search either here or google for Belize. It sounds like a pretty port, but haven't been there. Have a wonderful cruise!
Old 07-26-2006, 09:15 AM

Agree with Penny, go to Tulum, exceptional and educational, excellent photography oportunities, just gorgeous! Xel Ha was great too, though I don't think you'll find extraordinary photo ops there. Been to Grand Cayman once, did 7 mile beach (too crowded), I think if you don't want to snorkel in Cozumel, I'd hook up with an Island tour that will bring you to all the highlights. (Someone told me to go to Hell, but I thought they were just being rude!) Was supposed to go there last cruise again, but they cancelled the port due to choppy seas. Wonder if the docks are fixed yet? We were going to go to Rum Point, heard that was fantastic, palm fringed beach with shade and hammocks with a restaurant. 7 mile was too commericalized, at least where we were on a Royal Carribean excursion. Haven't been to Costa Maya or Belize City, sorry.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carribean, costa, cruise, excirsions, excursion, excursions, favorite, january, land, maya, rccl, reviews, royal, snorkeling, western