Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 03:26 PM

We are cruising on the Conquest this summer. In your opinion, what is the best shore excursion to take in Montego Bay?
Old 04-09-2007, 03:26 PM

We are cruising on the Conquest this summer. In your opinion, what is the best shore excursion to take in Montego Bay?
Old 04-10-2007, 04:58 PM

We did the Conquest in January 06, and booked our tours thru Carnival. We did the tour of the home of the White Witch. It was interesting, but way to hot for me. It did include a stop at a very nice place for shopping. My sisters and their husbands did the Catamarin tour with snorkeling - the gals stayed on the boat and got leg and foot massages for tips. The boat let them off at Margaritaville where we met them. I would NOT venture out on my own in this port. There are several posts that recommend independent tour guides which sound good as well. We did get information on tours thru Bartlett at this port and she was offering some that were relatively inexpensive and sounding really good but none of us could agree on one that all wanted to do. The shopping in this port - in my opinion - was awful as the people are very pushy and aggressive. Again, don't venture out on your own. We were in a taxi that the door guard at Margaritaville got for 2 of us to go shopping - on way back to the cruise ship, driver was stopped and solicited by shall we say a lady of the afternoon! He informed us she was too high, would hate to consider what we would have done if her price was right! Also the others in the party were solicited for drugs. Oh the catamarin did come back to Margaritaville and took them back to the ship - don't know if this is normal or not but they lucked out.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:06 PM
Banned

tesi, I second BJC's advise... don't venture off on your own in Jamaica.
Many people rave about Margaritaville.
Dunns River Falls is a ride, located in Ochos Rios, but, well worth the time and effort once you get there. Have a fun cruise. A'ndrea
Old 04-11-2007, 09:50 AM

What exactly is there to do in "Margaritaville"?
Old 04-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Banned

tesi... beach, drinks, music, fun.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:59 PM

GREAT slide that sends you in to the water which is crystal clear. The food wasn't that spectacular and I thought it was HIGH! The music is loud, people get up and dance on the patio in general - just a fun time.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:18 AM
Banned

BJC, I am not one bit surprised at your post regarding the "lady of the night". Our family hired a private tour guide to take us from Montego Bay to Ochos Rios (Dunns River Falls). On the way, our driver stopped, stepped out of the van and urinated along side his door. He did this twice. He commented to us, "when nature calls....."
Not uncommon in Jamaica. We saw several men "watering the grass" on the way there and back. My husband and myself could handle it, as well as, our 17 year old daughter. But, it wasn't something I necessarily wanted my 12 year old daughter to see. Personally, I have no desire to return to Jamaica now or ever. A'ndrea
Old 04-17-2007, 06:32 AM

Would not want to go back to Montego for sure but wouldn't mind going to Ocho Rios just to say been there done that ... of course, don't know that the atmosphere is any different on that side ...
Old 04-17-2007, 06:39 AM
Banned

I don't regret Dunns River Falls. It was well worth the expense and the awe-factor. Just an outstanding sight to witness. I could do without the rest of Jamaica. We ran into some trouble when our guide took us to a bank. There was a gun involved. I don't necessarily need to go there again with this story. Let's just say..... Jamaica = never again for us. A'ndrea

Closed Thread

Tags
advisor, bay, conquest, cruise, excursion, excursions, forum, jamaica, montego, shore, suggestions, testimonials, tips, trip, tripadvisor