Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Well the reason for this post is that here on Puerto Rico,
There is good news for all you cruiser that wants to visit
The Mayagüez port (the west side of the island).
This was news on 25 of September of 2007,
Sorry if I miss something on the translation but it was on Spanish:
The municipal government of Mayaguez has issue a new resolution that will benefit the cruise industry.
Mayagüez will pay any cruise ship that visits the Mayagüez port, the same amount of money that San Juan port is paying now to any cruise ship that visits their port.
Today San Juan port pays the Cruise ships, money per each day they visit their port.
This is the incentive that our tourism department uses to bring more cruise lines to our island.
Problem is:
Normally only San Juan port does this kind of incentive, so the cruise lines only disembark on San Juan because of this. Now, as Mayagüez develop their new policy, our port will receive the same importance as San Juan.
Here is the good news:
Some cruise lines had already started negotiations with our municipal government of Mayaguez; a few had even started to bring some of their cruises here.
So you know, a cruise ship was here on Mayagüez last week, and a Holland cruises is already on negotiations in order to make Mayagüez a port of call on their future routes on the Caribbean. So maybe on the future you will have the opportunity to visit our Island and my new island Pub, you know like Carlos and Charles on Aruba…
Casanova’s PUB!!!

Old 09-29-2007, 06:03 AM

CF,
How far is Mayaguez from San Juan? We will be in San Juan in Feb. from 5 to midnight. Is it possible to get a cab or other transportation to Mayaquez? Would like to check out your pub.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-29-2007, 04:25 PM
well is two hour travel on car that is the problem many cruiser don't see the west side of the island becuase of the limited time they have so they only see what san juan has to offer... but believe me we can be much better than San Juan only problem for cruiser at this time is not a real option because of their short time on port
Old 09-29-2007, 04:30 PM

Well we are docked in Mayaguez this Nov. on a repositioning cruise with R.C's Empress of the Seas. So my question to you is when we get off the ship how far are we from Boqueron Town and Poblado...we would like to walk accross the bridge to the beach and avoid having to drive to the main entrance of Boqueron Beach...is there such a bridge and how far from the port is it? Also if you could give us directions to your pub we'd love to stop by for a beer.

Thanks

saublewater

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 09-29-2007, 05:38 PM
well the pub does not exist, for now, is a plan I have but for the future at the moment they are making some changes on mayaguez and I am waiting in order to have a good location...

as for boqueron you are 30 minutes at most from mayaguez but since you are going to Cabo Rojo ther is the crash boat on Aguadilla clear water and is almost 30 minutes from port, good place for surfing or scuba diving.
There is also Rincon is less than 10 minutes on car and you don't have traffic problems with it
and is a good place if you want to surf also so I will make a post later about the west side maybe it will help you...
What will you like to do during your time with our port I am from mayaguez so I can give you a few tips on
Where to go?
What to do?
Wich day of the week you will be visiting us?
Old 09-30-2007, 06:53 AM

We are in Mayaguez on a Sunday. We are looking to spend our last day before we pull into San Juan to fly home on a quiet beach with calm waters. I do hear that Boqueron has calm waters is this true? or am I confused with Punta Higuero Beach near Rincon? Is there a bridge that we can walk across to get to Boqueron Beach? Other than finding a great beach we just want to have a couple of beers at a quiet pub an maybe do minimal shopping.

saublewater

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 11-08-2007, 06:58 AM

Mayaguez welcomed us with music, free items, drinks..a craft type area from the locals,etc....it was quite busy with cameras and videos...the newpaper had covered the upcoming visit in the local paper the day before the cruise ship arrived. We went by taxi over to Playa de Boqueron...it was off season but there was one lifeguard on duty...no beach chairs or umbrellas but the beach offered it's own shade under trees. The water was a bit stirred up since they had a bit of the storm effects of Noel 2 days prior to our arrival in port...snorkelling was not up to snuff because of the storm. We did walk into town over the yellow lift bridge to the first little bar/restaurant and purchased some beers....no glass allowed on the beach but cans are ok. The locals were very friendly....it was a good time on the beach...relaxing...no vendors...and the beach had excellent washroom facilities...clean....great stretch of beach....I'm sure much better in prime season. I think Mayaguez will do fine with cruise ships coming into port...they just have to iron out some of the transportation issues. It was to be expected I'm sure...first RC ship in port. The local ferry runs out of there...Ferries Del Caribe.

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, boqueron, cabo, cruise, distance, juan, mayaguez, port, puerto, rico, rojo, san, schedule, ship, ships, visit