Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 AM

Mac0415, I didn't think they were as aggressive as they were in Jamaica, but I did see them working the crowds. Maybe after a few more visits there I'll feel more comfortable going on my own, just not now. They had the same sort of set up they had in Trinidad, with the shops inside the gated area and then shops along the street. Talk about a mob scene-whew!I couldn't even buy a couple of t-shirts. There were 2 ships in port that day, though. Maybe it's not as bad when there's only 1. We probably doubled the population of Roatan that day with the 2 ships in port
Old 07-16-2008, 01:03 PM
I find most of the cruise ports in the Caribbean & Central America the guides are aggressive but most if you just say "no thanks" they will leave you alone.

If worried wait till most people have gone ashore then venture out.
Roatan is a beautiful island and worth an tour
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 07-16-2008, 09:10 PM

I am curious about the school buses that were in the pier parking lot. Is that the mode of transportation for ship's tours? Does anyone know if they have taxi vans for a group of 8?

Thanks,

Dwayne
Old 07-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
I am curious about the school buses that were in the pier parking lot. Is that the mode of transportation for ship's tours? Does anyone know if they have taxi vans for a group of 8?

Thanks,

Dwayne
cannot help with the school bus question.
The first stop we did there we did a ship's tour ...all were accommodated in small vans.
This year we saw several taxi/guides with van and you could get 8 in I am sure.
You can find some good info at
http://www.roatanisland.net/tindex.htm
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 07-17-2008, 07:19 AM

Thanks Lyn! I want to try to pre-arrange this, if we do it. We did this on St. Lucia once, and the taxi guy was waiting with a sign.

Dwayne
Old 07-17-2008, 07:25 AM

They did use the school buses for tours when we were there. No a/c. They took us to the catamaran in nice air conditioned vans. On the way back, we were in the school buses. Guess it was a good way to keep the seats from getting wet in the nice vans.

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, coco, cost, cruise, dock, easily, en, hire, resort, roatan, ship, snorkle, speak, taxi, taxis, view