Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 10:11 AM

i have been trying to plan what beach we want to snorkel from at roatan, I thought we would do it on our own instead of an excursion. But I am a bit confussed about the taxi situation. my research left me confused.
Do you rent the taxi for the day or for the trip like in the U S.
I am thinking we will go to the west end area and enjoy the beach and snorkel. but some of the reviews i have read on the internet talks of the taxi driver waiting for you.
If we do the one way and then grab a taxi to go back to the ship will we have a problem finding a taxi?
and I understand the price is negociable. is that how it works?
I am confussed.....
Old 07-14-2008, 11:41 AM

I wouldn't advise it, but there are some taxis waiting. There is a town a little ways away and they run you to there for shopping. I believe there's a beach area there, too. All the people we met there were very, very friendly and nice, but English is not their native language. Some do speak English a little. Just make sure to be aware of your surroundings. It's not as pushy as Jamaica, but just be careful.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Administrator

You can get a taxi for the day, and that is the way to go if you decide against a tour. It could be easy to be stranded otherwise.

When we were in Roatan - and it has been a while - we arranged a taxi with the desk on the pier. He was ours for the day and they also provided a high school kid to go with us and act as a translator. At the time the kids with good grades (and who spoke English) got released from school when a cruise was in port so they could make some money. Not sure if they still do things like that.

Our cab was rather rickety and I was a little worried about it breaking down. But it didn't. However we did have a problem later in the day when our driver left the beach we were at for some reason. He told our translator he'd be back in a little bit, but it stretched to an uncomfortably long period of close to an hour. I needed to remember that the definition of "little bit" means different things in different places! I was a little stressed since we still had a good drive back to the pier. But all worked out okay in the end. I think the cab was $40 and we also tipped the driver $20 and the kid $20.

If I had it to do over again I think a tour would have been a better idea.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:05 PM

They still have the kids as translators, at least they did last December. They're semi decent at English.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:38 PM

I am getting a little stressed about this too. Our group wants to go to CoCo View Resort to snorkel and dive. I am going to have to get more details about this. This goes against the advice I always give about using the ship's tours for new places.

Dwayne
Old 07-14-2008, 08:23 PM
The kids go to school at different times of the day .

The young kids go early in the morning, then they have afternoon classes. The high school kids go late in the day so they can work.

You could always try the private tour excursions just leave yourself enough time to get back to the ship 1 hr prior to sailing.
We were asked by several locals near the pier if we wanted a tour they had newer mini vans & spoke English well enough.
http://www.roatanet.com/
http://www.roatancabtours.com/
http://www.roatanshoreexcursions.com/
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 07-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Banned

We just walked out to the street and hired Carlos (Taxi 272) for a couple of hours. My oldest son and I just wanted to go to the West End and look around. It was $20 a person.

Carlos just waited for us while we shopped.

He was a middle aged guy, spoke good English and was VERY nice. You can actually see his house from the back of the ship. He and his wife and 5 kids live in small house over the water.

He is someone I would arrange the day with and be completely comfortable.

When we go back, that is what we intend to do!

Old 07-15-2008, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the replies. I kinda want to hire a taxi for the day, because I would rather give the taxi driver 80 bucks then pay for the ships excursion. 80 dollars goes a long way in a poor county. But they could take us to anywhere they want and we would not know the difference. But since it is just my sister safety comes first, I guess we will do the ship excursion.
Dwayne I go in Sept, I will try to get all the info for you I can, to help with your decision.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:03 PM

Thanks, macmom and LHP.

I am in the same boat so to speak with macmom. We didn't get off the ship last year because we were rained out for our excursion.

Dwayne
Old 07-16-2008, 09:56 AM

You can get a cab right off the ship. My group was a little nervous because they come at you hard. We actually turned around and got back on the ship for the day. We regret it now. Several people who did get cabs went to Tabyanna Beach and said it was the most beutiful beach they have ever seen. One was even going to look into buying a condo there. I certaintly wouldn't recommend shopping. It's an absolute zoo.

In Belize we hired Reggie. You can find his info. on the web. The cave tubbing tour and the over all tour of the country out to the caves was the highlight of our cruise. 1/2 the price of the ship and it was just us 6 on the tour. Those who booked from Carnival had easily over 60 or so people. He was the greatest. Will do it agian.

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, coco, cost, cruise, dock, easily, en, hire, resort, roatan, ship, snorkle, speak, taxi, taxis, view