Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2006, 06:05 AM

Wondering about Cozumel conditons and what to expect for our Feb. 23rd cruise.... heard that Chaunknob (not spelled properly), will be ready in February... anybody know more about that?????
Old 01-22-2006, 08:51 AM
Administrator

The last report I read had Chankanaab opening sometime in February, but there was no firm date. It was pretty much wiped out by Wilma. However, most of the island has recovered and there are many good tours and beaches opened. Bear in mind that the hurricane destroyed all of the cruise ship piers so you will be tendering into the island from an anchorage. This is how it used to be at Cozumel years ago. It does cut into your shore time, so plan accordingly.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:25 AM

How does the tendering work... I know they use ferries back and forth, but how long does it take to get on shore and is it easier to come back to the ship????? What works best?
Old 01-22-2006, 11:53 AM

Hi there, Chankanaab park will take a little longer to recuperate entirely but there are lots of other great things to do in Cozumel and on the mainland....tendering is not a big deal, modern ferrys, 5min to shore....enjoy your stay...hurricane Wilma was tough, Cozumel is tougher...saludos
Old 01-22-2006, 04:11 PM

Considering the fact that Chankanaab Park is the most Gilligan's Island-y place I have ever seen I'm sure they will be able to get it functioning when they say they are....

There are so many other things to do in Cozumel, anyway!
Old 01-22-2006, 05:46 PM

It may only take 5 mins to shore and ship, but it took us forever to get in if there is more than one ship in port.
The ships dont use their own tenders, so your at the mercy of the islanders. We felt the brunt of it, having to wait 45 minutes beyond our scheduled departure to go on shore. Thank goodness we didnt have an excursion.

Art
Old 01-25-2006, 03:11 PM

Gilligan Island-y place???? What's that mean???? I heard it's one of the nicest places to visit on the island.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:14 PM

I wouldn't necessarily say that "you are at the mercy of the islanders..."
Each cruise line makes its own tendering arrangements. Some lines do better than others, based on what we observed on January 13, 2006. RCCL used inter-island boats, "normal" tender boats, party boats and some of its own lifeboats. On RCCL, those with excursions purchased through the cruise line get the early tenders. On Rhapsody and Splendour, there was an "early bird" tender if you really want to try to beat the crowd. If you have made your own excursion arrangements, you have to queue up for tender tickets (which were never collected) and boarding may be 9:30-10:00 a.m.. However, our loading was quick and the actual boat trip is just 5-10 minutes. (Almost 400 people were on our tender.)
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast Repo - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old 02-16-2006, 10:03 AM

We were there 1/27 on Conquest. The tenders ran on a fairly regular basis and the trip was about 5 minutes to the dock. Just remember, that the lines can be long when it is time to get back on the boat to leave.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:50 PM

We will be in Cozumel March 18th (Royal Carib. Grandeur of the Seas). I was concerned about how much we would be able to do in Cozumel (and I wanted to make this a special trip for my Mom who loves history) so I booked the Tulum/Xel-ha tour. I haven't heard about any problems on this tour. I had wanted to take her to Chankanaab park, but I was nervous that, even if it is open, not everything would be ready.
Have a great trip.

Closed Thread