Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 07:50 PM

I'm debating whether to take the St. John Champagne Catamaran Sailaway which goes to Honeymoon Beach, or just take the ferry and go to Trunk Bay. I've seen all the good things said about Trunk, but is Honeymoon Beach nice? Which would you do and why?

Thanks,

David

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 03-17-2008, 08:15 PM

I should add that neither my wife nor I have ever snorkeled before, and it's not a deal breaker. My wife doesn't even want to try it, but I will someplace on our trip. We're just looking for the best experience.

Thanks again!

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 03-18-2008, 06:42 AM

Hi Walrus67, Scott Taylor took the Catamaran sail/snorkel to Honeymoon Bay and he said it was better than Trunk Bay for snorkeling. He said it was a fantastic excursion and highly recommended it. We haven't done that excursion yet, but I can tell you that St. John beats the daylights out of St. Thomas when it comes to the beaches! You have to talk your wife into trying to snorkel. She doesn't have to know how to swim. You're extremely bouyant in salt water and they will make you wear a snorkeling vest that she can inflate. All she has to do is float, but I'll guarantee once she sees the beautiful colors of the fish and the coral, she'll be more than willing to paddle around some. I have seen the catamaran and she's a beauty. They offer free rum punch on the return trip (after snorkeling). According to Scott's post the crew was fantastic. So I say, go for the catamaran. Your next trip to St. Thomas/St. John, take the trip to Trunk Bay. However, your wife may be hooked on the catamaran sailing experience by then! Best wishes and have a wonderful time!
Old 03-18-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
Hi Walrus67, Scott Taylor took the Catamaran sail/snorkel to Honeymoon Bay and he said it was better than Trunk Bay for snorkeling. He said it was a fantastic excursion and highly recommended it. We haven't done that excursion yet, but I can tell you that St. John beats the daylights out of St. Thomas when it comes to the beaches! You have to talk your wife into trying to snorkel. She doesn't have to know how to swim. You're extremely bouyant in salt water and they will make you wear a snorkeling vest that she can inflate. All she has to do is float, but I'll guarantee once she sees the beautiful colors of the fish and the coral, she'll be more than willing to paddle around some. I have seen the catamaran and she's a beauty. They offer free rum punch on the return trip (after snorkeling). According to Scott's post the crew was fantastic. So I say, go for the catamaran. Your next trip to St. Thomas/St. John, take the trip to Trunk Bay. However, your wife may be hooked on the catamaran sailing experience by then! Best wishes and have a wonderful time!
Thanks Penny.

I went ahead and booked directly through Atlantis Adventures. They seemed to have the exact schedule as through the ship, but at $30 less each person. Since you check in at their office in Havensight, I figured it was worth the savings. I imagine we'll even be sailing with people who may have booked through the ship.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 03-19-2008, 05:39 AM

Let me know when you return if you were happy with it. It sounds fantastic, and Scott Taylor does a lot of snorkeling and loves Trunk Bay. For him to say it was better, it had to be amazing. You just have to start working on your wife, she will LOVE it. The colors are like nothing you see above ground, and it is so peaceful. Have a wonderful cruise!
Old 03-20-2008, 07:35 AM

Just one word of caution. My wife (along with other guests) got seasick on the catamaran in St. Maarten. It was going really fast and lots of up's and down's. And i know the ride on the ferry last week to St. John's was a rough one too.
If you are prone to that take some meds in advance and sit at the back of the ship. Make sure you eat before you leave and stay hydrated.

I don't want to scare you, just giving you the heads up so you are prepared.

Caribbean Travel Photos

Riu Playacar Resort: Playa del Carmen All Inclusive
03-08 Carnival Triumph
08-07 Carnival Celebration
03-07 Carnival Victory
07-96 Crown Princess
Old 03-20-2008, 07:47 AM

Great advice Joergr, I never think about it because, thankfully, I don't get sea sick. My hubby doesn't either. I love catamarans, they are so much smoother than sailboats, but if you are prone to sea sickness, I guess it wouldn't be too much fun without your meds.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:25 AM

lol. we don't know if we get seasick... this is our first time on the water, small vessel or large I hope not, since we booked the catamaran in St. Thomas, and the Eco-Tour in Antigua

Free Cruise Clocks

Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran, champagne, code, cruise, excursions, john, johns, promotional, reviews, sail, sailaway, snorkel, snorkeling, st, vest, wear