Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2006, 08:04 PM

We are booked with Carnival Conquest for their Dec 10th cruise and were wondering what are some good inexpensive excursions for 3. On a budget, have heard lots of +++ on the Playa Mia beach break Delux but wondered if anyone has taken it and what the costs are like.
Also ideas for Montego. My dad was there about 15 years ago and was robbed at gunpoint by a cab driver so a little nervous going there.

Viva Wyndham Resorts
Old 11-08-2006, 07:08 AM

Some of the least expensive trips we've done is just to ask a local cab driver how much they'd charge to take you around for a while. We usually book our excursions through the ship, especially if it's the first time we've gone to a port. The main reason is, I know the cruise company has checked out the excursion. If there are any negative reviews, they usually pull the excursion. In Montego, research an all-inclusive that offers a daily rate. If you use the search feature on this site, I'm sure you'll find some suggestions there as well. Have a wonderful cruise!!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Banned

carnival lists the available shore excursions and prices for your cruise...go to their site and fill out your funpass info, it will make boarding easier. I agree if you are uneasy with a port to book with the ship.

while your there look for other local companies which may offer direct booking for a little cheaper than the ships tour for the next time you visit, i allways search for local tour companies online...just type "(name of island or city) followed by activities,tours,excursions,rentals,snorkel"
and see what pops up
then if you feel comfortable with it you can do it yourself.

I also have heard from tablemates that hiring a cab for a personal tour can be a good affordable alternative, one couple got a horsedrawn carrage at the end of a taxi line in cozumel, $35 bucks and he spoke decent english, showed them churchs, shopping, a local resturaunt for a snack, and neighborhood sites and gave them a 3 hour tour.
I would just make sure before i got in, that he spoke my language well and could tell me a few places worth visiting, and make sure how long we would have his services.

all legal taxis in Jamaica have red tags on the front of thier cab, most ports have an official taxi area near all the security of the tourist shops at the pier, with official regulation, which discourages horror stories like you mentioned. yeah, i'd beware of the cabbie in the alley goin: pssssttt hey meesta you need a ride or something? unless you walk, rent a car or book a tour with the ship you have to use a cab to see the island. Most of them are happy to be earning a good buck showing off thier island to you.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:33 AM

I'm going to be there on January 2nd, been to jamaica twice. Did Dunns River Fall and did a cab tour once enjoyed both. It is kinda scary with some of the locals and markets especially the one after the falls and i'm 6' 4". Just say no thanks! and continue walking away and dont look at them.
We have booked on line with info@barrettadventures.com
All the information i've found they have been highly recomended. They have diffrent prices and are cheaper than booking with cruise line. This is one place I would take some kind of guided tour and go cheaper on others as in not booking any thing and seeing local things.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:39 AM

[quote]Originally posted by cruzin40:
We are booked with Carnival Conquest for their Dec 10th cruise and were wondering what are some good inexpensive excursions for 3. QUOTE]

I found some nicely priced ones at cozumelinsider.com. The folks there are real friendly and reply to emails quickly.

Closed Thread