Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Well hello people,
Since I have been reading a few post asking about the Carnival Destiny and ports of call, I figured that maybe I can share a few things I know about it, is not much, but maybe this will help you a little.

Here are a few pointers:

If you want to know of the port of embarkation, my beautiful Island of Puerto Rico, here is a good site that can help you
Visit this site:
www.gotopuertorico.com

Also you can buy “Frommer’s Caribbean Ports” you can find it on Borders, is a great help, you can learn a lot of the Caribbean before you go to any port of call. This book can give you a general idea of what you can expect from tours, the prices, best places to buy etc.

Some interesting places In Puerto Rico:

• You can visit the El Yunque Caribbean National forest in Rio Grande is the only rain forest on the island, also a beautiful place you can see our national parrot and well most people even tell stories about OVNIS and things, I don’t really know much about OVNIS but the tourist guide should know a few… If you want a beautiful place or natural adventures, el Yunque is the place; also they have a few cultural shopping opportunities near by.
• Here is some info of el yunque : http://topuertorico.org/reference/yunque.shtml
• “El Yunque” is about 30 minutes to 40 minutes from San Juan in car.
• Also the town of Rio Grande is full of cultural places and most of the shopping there can be cheaper than San Juan.

Other tips:

• Old San Juan is as for now a walking place (San Juan Peatonal) you can get a Taxi to get you near some places but is most close for cars since they want to protect its “Adoquines” and their Spanish history. But there are a few trolleys or busses that you can use free of charge to take you there.
• Sheraton in Old San Juan, is a good hotel to stay if you travel during Saturday Why??
Because is almost in front of the cruise port. Is also is good place because everything is walking distance from it. You can tour old San Juan the Saturday or the Sunday after you arrive.
• Most of the places in San Juan are walking distance; remember you can always use the free of charge trolleys if you don’t want to walk:
o El morro a Spanish fort and also is not expensive place, beautiful, rich in history.
o Also there is “La Fortaleza” our gubernator house and is not far from el Morro.
o Capilla del Cristo: a Christian chapel open on Tuesday only
o San Juan Cathedral: here is “Juan Ponce de Leon” the one of the pirates of the Caribbean; he died looking for the fountain of youth.
o Fort of San Cristobal: a huge Spanish fortress part of el morro.
• The Bacardi rum company is not a bad tour also the best rum in PR, but is to far from the port, even from the hotel. My suggestion stay on old San Juan is cheaper and you can see it all in one day.
• If you have the time, and want to try Puerto Rican food, there is one restaurant, the second best in old San Juan; the “Parrot Club” prices are more or less $28 for person depending on what you order, is in the “Fortaleza street” walking distance from Sheraton and also from the port.
• “Café Puerto Rico” is also a great restaurant but less expensive and more Puerto Rican is in old San Juan in the “plaza colon in old San Juan”
• As for shopping most of cultural shopping you can do it in Old San Juan, there is a store in “El morro”, or a few tourist stores in the town.
• Most people in the island don’t speak English but they can understand it, so have a little patience. Remember Spanish is different from English when you ask:
“Do you speak English?”
it translate as if we can use English to communicate, so the answer of most Puerto Rican will be NO.
Almost 90 % of the island can understand English, if you ask something most Puerto Rican will know what you ask but they cannot tell you, in English, the answer to your question. So they will answer it in Spanish…tricky but that’s Puerto Rico…

Pointers on the islands that I visit during my honeymoon (2005):

• Well as For the tours here are few recommendations

? Book directly from the cruise line in case you have any problem and can not get on the ship on time they wait for you.
? Check the carnival forum you will find a very interesting post about this problems.

The tours, directly from carnival, which I think will help you if you are interested on history and site seeing, are:

St. Thomas

• Journey through paradise
• Historic Blackbeard's Hill & Recommended Shopping

Dominica

• Emerald Pool & Roseau Highlights

Barbados

• A Flavor of Barbados
• A taste of Barbados
• Barbados Coast to Coast

Also in st. Thomas let me tell you there are a few things to do in st. John, It has 27 beautiful beaches so you can actually take a snorkel tour or even take a mix of sea and see so you can view the island and also pass the day there swimming.

Dominica is a poor island I have been there one time, mostly shopping, there is a good bazaar outside the ship, I think there are a few things to do there but is not as st. Thomas, I planning this year to know the island better.

Also there is in Barbados a power boat great Fun Idea but an expensive one!!! at least in our case, in our honeymoon we took the Barbados Island Tour, Is better if you like site seen, but there is also “the explorer submarine” in Barbados Great experience also you can see old ships, almost like when you snorkel. I took it in Aruba was WOW!!!
Beautiful you can see fishes, coral great experience if you have kids.

Well this summer I will take another cruise experience in the Carnival Destiny as soon I come back I will write about the other islands. If you already visit St. Lucia or Antigua please tell me about those islands I am planning my tours for this summer any help will be great…
If you have any questions please let me know

Well that’s all for now
Casanova

Closed Thread

Tags
barbados, call, carnival, cruise, destiny, el, espanol, fees, port, ports, portsofcall, puerto, reviews, rico, younque