Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2007, 09:19 PM

I'm going on my first cruise first week of Oct.
Royal Carib - Cococay, St. Thomas and St. Martin

On their excursions, I'm looking for Scuba that I can do from shore with other "non-scuba" passengers I'm traveling with.

They are signed up for Little Divee Bay Beach, Cococay of course, and Megans Bay in St Thomas -

Are their dive "huts" or shops on site at RCs Mariner of the Seas stops for E. Caribbean?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2007, 06:44 AM

Hi JV and welcome to Cruise Chat.

I'm not a SCUBA diver, but I've been on snorkeling excursions in St. Thomas and St. Martin. They've all been from a boat, with non-snorkeling companions enjoying the boat during the swimming. Hopefully, someone else who does SCUBA can help you with this one.

Sandy
Old 09-20-2007, 07:22 AM

JV-

Yes, you can get "intro to scuba" excursions on that itinerary. I believe it was in St Thomas, but it could have been both St Thomas and St Martin. Check into the excursions list and look for the intro classes. They take you out off a beach (maybe 25 feet of water??) and they give you a how to class before hand. They claim the dive will count towards a certification too. I took my eldest daughter and we both had a great time.

As far as dive huts... On the Mariner they have a dive shop and dive pros who do the classes and diving excursions, so you should be able to talk to them also.

Have a great cruise!
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-20-2007, 10:06 AM

Thanks so much! I'm new to cruising and new to this website - Look at all of your cruises! Wow! I wonder if there is a way to contact the dive shop personnel prior to departure, do you know?

Thanks again and happy cruising!
Old 09-20-2007, 10:45 AM

I just googled dive shops in St. Thomas and had over a million hits. Maybe there are some phone numbers listed. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Banned

St. Thomas
Magens Bay - The bottom is flat and sandy, this is a place for sun and swim rather than snorkeling.
Coki Beach - next to Coral World is the island's best-known snorkeling spot.
Morning Star Beach - snorkeling is good near the rocks when the current doesn't affect visibility.
Sapphire Beach - snorkeling is excellent at the reef to the right, or east near Pettyklip Point. Also good for windsurfing.
Secret Harbor - superb snorkeling to the left of cove near the rocks.

Chris Sawyer Diving Center - www.sawyerdive.vi
Snuba of St. Thomas - www.visnuba.com - Coki Point
Aqua Adventures - www.bobusvi.com - Crown Bay Marina, Charlotte Amalie

Coco Cay
140-acre island. Previously known as Little Stirrup Cay. Snorkeling is good around sunken airplane and replica of Blackbeard's ship, Queen Anne's Revenge. Activities and games ashore. Claims to have the largest Aqua Park in the Caribbean. Scuba diving, snorkeling, jet skiing, kayaking, parasailing, hiking, volleybal, shopping.

St. Martin/St. Maarten
Not known as a dive destination. For snorkelers, Orient Bay, Caye Verte, Ilet Pinel, and Flat Island protected as regional underwater nature reserve. Offers half-day snorkeling trips.

St. Marteen
Dive Safaris - www.thescubashop.net Philipsburg
Ocean Explorers Dive Shop - www.stmaartendiving.com Simpson Bay

St. Martin
Kontiki Watersports - www.sxm-game.com Bay Orientale
02 Limits - www.o2limits.com in the Grand Case Beach Club
Octoplus - 590/87-20-62 Grand Case
Blue Ocean - 590/87-89-73 Baie Nettle
Old 09-20-2007, 01:11 PM

JV, I don't know if you can contact the on board dive shop prior to sailing. But they are open as soon as you get on the ship, so you can check thing out early. Or like Penny or Suzy pointed out, you can contact shops directly via the internet or phone. If this is your first cruise, while it may be more expensive, I would suggest sticking to the ship booked excursions. Thise you can book before hand. If you are certified, make sure you bring your dive card as the experienced dive tours will require that you have it with you.

But if you are adventurous I certainly wouldn't claim you can't go book things on your own. If you book through the ship (especially for the beginner dives) the ship will obviously provide the scuba gear. You can also bring your own stuff (provided you can get it to the ship) For the dives booked on your own you would have to inquire with them at booking on if they can provide gear.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread

Tags
dive, excursion, introduction, maarten, replica, revenge, scuba, ship, st, thomas, usvi