Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 06:07 PM

I did a search and didn't find anything, so I started a new thread. We are on the Navigator in March and stopping at ocho rios ans grand cayman, I would like to purchase some good cigars. Where would you go? Not looking for illegal cigars just better then we can get around here. Thanks!

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-11-2008, 03:33 AM
Administrator

Don't bother in Ocho Rios. However in Grand Cayman there is an excellent cigar store right across the street from where your tender will dock. It is in this small inside mall of stores. You can't miss it.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:15 AM

Thanks, I was afraid by the number of views and lack of replies that I offended everyone. I rarely smoke anything, just every once in a while a nice cigar is enjoyable. My wife asked if any of the ships stores had any good cigars. I looked on the Navigators website but didn't see any answers.
My wife or DW is getting excited after reading all these reviews and stories! See Positive reinforcement does work.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-11-2008, 07:26 AM

mwne2nks- Why would anyone be offended by you asking where you can buy cigars? Be aware that you can purchase Cuban cigars while in Grand Cayman and Cozumel if you are going there.

If you do, don't buy anymore than you can comfortably smoke before the end of the cruise.
You can bring them back on the ship (and some ships even have cigar lounges where you can buy them) but you can't bring them off the ship when you get back to the states. Even if you are not a US citizen and are continuing on to your final destination, US Customs will not allow Cuban made cigars to enter the US even in transit by a non US citizen.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 02-11-2008, 07:51 AM

I haven't sailed on the Navigator, but like Jim said there are a lot of ships that have really good cigars on board. I agree with Dave, either Grand Cayman or Cozumel for purchasing them, not Jamaica. Hope you have a wonderful cruise, magnificent weather, and great excursions! Be warned, cruising is addictive
Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 AM

We are stopping at Grand Cayman so I will get some there. How closely do they check outgoing luggage for cigars ? Especially since I am self debarking due to a early flight.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-11-2008, 09:03 AM

After a stop in Jamaica, I doubt that the dogs are sniffing out cigars!

Seriously, when we travel to Cabo, buddies of mine (I'm a non-smoker) frequently bring cubans back to the states, though never more than 5 or 6 each. The shop they go to has alternate cigar bands that replace the original bands. Don't know if other shops have the same "service". I hope that in this post-9/11 world that the government has more on their minds than cigars.

Disclaimer: the views in this post are not meant to condone or encourage illegal activites ----- you're on your own.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:17 AM

The fine for each cigar you are caught with is $50,000. Is that worth it to find out if you can sneak them past US Customs? Beleive me, they are much more experienced in catching smugglers than you are in evading them.

There are many very good dominican brands that you don't have to worry about it with.

Buy a couple of Cubans and some them on the ship. If you plan on bringing any brand back to the states make sur eyou keep th ereceipt and that it clearly states what kind of cigar they are.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 02-11-2008, 11:31 AM

Very good advice Jim C. I can't seem to understand the concept of going through life trying to get around the rules. How can I smuggle booze onboard? How can I smuggle Cuban cigars back home? If I complain loudly enough about something frivolous will they give me a complimentary upgrade I'm not entitled to? How do you suggest I prop my balcony door open with bungee cords? How do I get around paying my fair share of gratuities? The list goes on for miles on these and other common topics of getting around the rules. Have we become so spoiled that we want our way no matter the rules or why they exist? That's how my kids acted when they were asserting their independence as todlers. Rules exist for a reason. Okay, I'm done with my rant. Sounded a little like a two year old myself on this one but can't we just enjoy cruising without trying to have rules for ME that are different from the rules for everybody?

BTW, this is not directed at the OP or anyone specific on this thread. It's just a general observation that there is always a post or two on such subjects that stray into the "How to go around the rules" zone.

Cheers, Neil
Old 02-11-2008, 11:36 AM

The fine for each cigar you are caught with is $50,000.

Wow ...... No kiddding? Let me revise my post:

mwne2wks ----- what are you, nuts?.... NEVER take that risk....

You might find this thread from Cigar Afficiando useful

http://forums.cigaraficionado.com/ev...85/m/620101624

Closed Thread

Tags
back, bands, boat, bring, buy, buying, cayman, change, cigars, cruise, cuban, grand, ocho, ports, rios, ship