Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 02:38 PM

We will be docking into St. Thomas are there other nice beaches at St. Thomas if you do not go to Trunk Bay which I have been reading is a very nice beach. When I talked to my TA about going to Trunk Bay she was somewhat against it because you do not book directly through with Carnival and was scarred if some of our group ventured to Trunk Bay and not get back in time for the pullin off of the ship. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this. It seem like we may have enough time to do this we are docked from 8-6. Do not know if we will be getting off the ship right at 8 though so do not kow if we will have enough time to go to Trunk Bay can someone share their thoughts with me regarding this

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-27-2008, 02:52 PM

We had more than enough time to go to trunk bay on our own. We stayed 3 hours at the bay and still returned with enough time to go back on board, drop off our beach stuff, change and go back out and get about an hour of shopping in.

As long as you leave the beach by 2 or 3 oclock and pay attention to the ferry schedule (it departs ever hour and at times every half hour) you should be fine. Just be sure to tell the bus driver (unless you take a taxi but there is really no need) you need to go to the cruise ship port and they will tell you if they will go by there or not.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 05-27-2008, 03:57 PM

I am also planning on hitting Trunk beach on my trip so I hope you don't mind me adding on a couple questions.

Is the bus easy to catch?

Also do you typically take the ferry from the port or the ferry from Red Hook (I read there is both)?

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-27-2008, 04:41 PM

I don't know why your TA would say such a ridiculous thing. Carnival offers several excursions over to St John. One of them is the St John Trunk Bay Snorkel excursion. You can look at it on Carnival's website under Shore Excursions-Eastern Caribbean-St Thomas.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:55 PM

Ouch, and they charge $78 dollars pp 4 hours for that.. I think the ferry and taxi/bus would be cheaper considering you would probably be taking the same ferry

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-27-2008, 05:22 PM

A taxi from Havensight to the Red Hook Ferry will probably run you atleast $10 per person each way. The ferry is $5 per person each way. Then you would have to get from the ferry area in St John to Trunk Bay/Trunk Bay back to Ferry, and pay for your gear snorkel gear.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I think the ferry and taxi/bus would be cheaper
Doing it on your own isn't always a bargain, and peace of mind also has value and a price.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:05 PM

Peace of mind......Priceless.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:44 AM

It has been a long time since we did this but....
We took a relatively inexpensive tour of St. John through the cruise line. This tour passed by Trunk Bay. So we just got off the bus, spent the day there and hopped back on one of the buses that frequent the area back to the ferry. At the time it seemed like something that happens all the time. It cost us about half of what the snorkle tour did. Don't know if that is still an option now.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:58 AM

Has your travel agent ever taken a cruise? What a ridiculous statement to make! If you decide not to go to Trunk Bay, I would suggest Coki Beach.

Sonny

Closed Thread

Tags
bay, carnivals, cruise, docked, excursion, excursions, fee, ferry, hours, june, lockers, reviews, schedule, ships, transportation, trunk, trunks