Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2007, 06:11 AM

I have cruised to Cayman several times and never miss the stingray tour, it gets better everytime. I usually do one of the tours through the cruise line that goes to the turtle farm, hell and stingray city. Doing it this way I have only paid one fee and get to see it all. I try to do one of the early trips so if there is time left I either go shopping or taxi over to 7 mile beach. This is a beautiful beach and a must if you are a beach lover. Hell is just a fun stop on the tour. I prepare before I leave home buy printing out address labels to friends and family back home. Once at Hell I purchase a handful of postcards do a quick message on them, slap on the address label, and mail them from the Hell postoffice. Everyone gets a big laugh out of seeing a card postmarked from Hell. Send one to your pastor, he will get a big chuckle out of it.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-03-2007, 08:46 AM

We are going to do the Turles and stingray land excursion.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:56 AM

Question about the turtles...from what I've read online, the turtle farm is now a part of Boatswain's Marine Park, with a hefty admission fee of $75 per adult ($50 if you get the "dry" package). That is a lot steeper than the $6 or so I had heard it was to go to the turtle farm. Anyone know if that is correct?
Old 10-08-2007, 04:04 PM

Stay on the ship. In my opinion Grand Cayman is the island they've ruined the most. You wouldn't know you weren't in South Florida--fast food places, that truly awful Turtle Farm where the turtles all look like they're ready to expire and the Sting Rays? So sad what these poor animals are put through to entertain tourists. And finally a bunch of islanders who are just plain unwelcoming. It's a great day to stay on board, get spa treatments at half price and enjoy the solitude until everyone returns to the ship with truly dreadful stories of what they've with their day.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:41 PM

Definitely go to the sandbar to see the Stingrays!!! You can take a snorkeling/sandbar trip combined into one package. The snorkeling was great there. The stingrays hang out over the sandbar because the tourist companies put food out for them there.

Have fun.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:15 PM

Since I am from Florida, stingrays are nothing new (I catch rather large ones all of the time (which I release) so the tour that appeals to me most is the most is the Atlantis submarine tour. I have heard a number of good things about it.

Western Caribbeam Carnival 2005

Eastern Caribbean Holland America 2006

Alaska Diamond Princess 2007

Western Caribbean NCL Jewel 2008

Southern Caribbean Holland America Westerdam 2008
Old 11-09-2007, 07:27 AM

Thanks everybody for the great ideas

Old 11-09-2007, 08:02 PM

I think the Atlantis Submarine sounds great, too, but am trying to stick with my stingray plan since I'm quite sure we've not seen anything like it based on all of the posts.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NYCBeach:
Stay on the ship. In my opinion Grand Cayman is the island they've ruined the most. You wouldn't know you weren't in South Florida--fast food places, that truly awful Turtle Farm where the turtles all look like they're ready to expire and the Sting Rays? So sad what these poor animals are put through to entertain tourists. And finally a bunch of islanders who are just plain unwelcoming. It's a great day to stay on board, get spa treatments at half price and enjoy the solitude until everyone returns to the ship with truly dreadful stories of what they've with their day.
WOW! I love Grand Cayman, one of my favorite places in the Caribben and definately my favortie along with Cozumel on the western side. You're apparently mis-informed about what stingray city is. Noone does anything to them other than feed them. They are in the wild in their natural habitat. You are taken to them out on a sand bar to swim and snorkle among them and feed them.

If the fast food places you're referring to are Margaritaville, Carlos & Charlies, Hard Rock or other such places, they're at nearly all the island ports. Other than these I can't recall seeing anything I'd think of as fast food. Never seen any golden arches there or at least if I did I don't remember it. Wouldn't surprise me if I did as they're everywhere now. Even Russia and China have McDonnalds now.

As for the unwelcoming part, I met some of the nicest people there of any island I've visited. Especially at one of the local shops where I met a young couple who moved there and started their business. The nicest people ever. Shared about the decision to try it and be so far from family and friends. I go back by each time I go there and they actually remember me by name and greet my wife and I like long time family friends.

The most lively port conversation at our dinner table on my last western carib cruise was at G.C. Everyone did different things and we all came back excited and sharing our experiences. Some parasailed, one pour couple went on the party boat with free margaritas and over did it. They were still feeling the effects at dinner the next night and on top of it were sun burned. Sting Ray City, great beaches including 7 mile beach. How can you have a bad time in G.C?

Cheers, Neil
Old 11-10-2007, 09:05 PM

All I can say is that Grand Cayman was a disappointment on my recent cruise.

Why? Because we didn't get to go. I love Grand Cayman. Crystal clear waters, awesome snorkeling, and the best Conch Fritters on this planet.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, boatswain, carnival, cayman, cruise, grand, ideas, kids, port, radiance, seas, stop, sunday, thing, things, young