Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2006, 07:53 PM

From reading others comments on Progresso it seems that that port is not everyone's favorite stop. Any suggestions on what to do? Traveling on CCL Ecstacy 12/2 so have a little while to gather ideas. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2006, 05:24 PM

Hi - we were in Progresso late October 2005 and it actually wasn't one of our scheduled port stops. The NCL Dream's 4 port stops were all cancelled due to the hurricanes so Progresso and Veracruz were last minute decisions made by the captain. We took a 5 hour shore excursion in Progresso but I don't remember what it was because by the time we came back, we had 3 hours of great Christmas shopping right at the pier near the ship - no beggars or people harassing you for money because the pier was closed off to the public (meaning the townspeople). It was GREAT! If we had known that Veracruz was going to be as disappointing as it was, we would have shopped more in Progresso and hung out at the cabana/pool area all day instead of take a shore excursion.

FYI - we're leaving from Galveston on 12/02 - taking the Grand Princess so at least we'll be cruising at the same time! Hope you have a great cruise! Happy sailing!
Old 11-16-2006, 04:59 PM

For a review of Progreso go to our sister site www.portreviews.com click on Mexico ports, then scroll down until on the left you see Progreso and click on it.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:38 AM

I think Progreso is interesting. They have a nice bus tour that used to cost $1.

It it a great place for culture, and shopping for local arts. Go down the side streets for deals and to meet interesting fine folks.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:10 PM

It is true, not more than 100 yeards from the pier is a little area of shops with local vendors. if you take the ride down the long, long pier into town, the town square usually has vendors where you can get picante sauce, lace and trinkets or you could enjoy some of the things happening on the ship and never step foot in Progresso.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:20 PM

Hi artzy2!! We are leaving Monday 27th, and returning 12/2...on the Ecstasy..just in time for you to get on board! I'll write you a note on the wall..not really!! ha!

I'm TRYING to pack...and not having much luck...I think I'm trying to take too much! Imagine that!!

About Progresso. I'm really looking forward to going there. Others have posted that the people are really friendly, and the shopping is great. My daughter was there several years ago and made some great deals on jewelry...hummm...sounds good to me!

Hope you have a really great cruise!

Have a great trip!
Old 11-24-2006, 07:49 PM

Hi Annies - you'll have a great time in Progresso. Have a great cruise and let us know what you think when you get back!
Old 11-26-2006, 06:10 AM

Do you guys recommend taking one of the shore excursions or just venturing out on a taxi? In other words is the shopping better in town than on the dock?
Old 11-26-2006, 08:41 AM

All I can tell you is what I would do if Progresso was on my itinerary. Anything that needs to be scheduled onboard, I would plan it for that day.

There will be some who go into port, making other amenities that much more accesible. Any class available, spa treatments etc. would be my choice after maybe a quick trip to dock-side shops for an assortment of picante sauces.

But this is a highly subjective decision based on what your personal interests are.

Progresso does not have as much to offer as Cozumel or any of the other Western Caribbean ports of call. If you are content to stroll the street vendors tables, there are af few in the town square.

Shopping is probably not that much better in town than at the dock but it has been three years since I have been there.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:41 PM

We are also on Ecstasy Dec. 2nd ...

In Progreso, we have scheduled the Chichen Itza excursion. I know everyone has their own reasons for cruising, but I want to experience the world and all its wonders. For me, it makes no sense to visit the Mayan capital of the world and not see the great pyramid, one of the greatest architectural wonders of this world.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, dock, dont, excursion, fo, island, mexico, port, pregresso, progreso, progressi, progresso, progressso, ships, shore, things