Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 12:08 PM

Help I am confused is it better to pay through the Ship for the excurisons or try your luck when you go a shore.This will be our first cruise on the Sea Princess to the caribbean on the first of march 2008.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:04 PM

Hi Patbud,

Welcome to Cruise-Chat! On a first time cruise, use the cruiselines excursions. Once you've been to the ports a time or two and know your way around you can explore other options for future cruises. I would never advise outside excursions to first time cruisers. You can however book them in advance or book them onboard at the excursion desk if you want to ask the staff questions about the options, times, cost and other paticulars of each. Better to be safe than sorry for a first time cruise.

Cheers, Neil
Old 12-02-2007, 03:13 PM

Welcome Aboard! I am of the same thought about this. First timers should use the ship's excursions. The ship will wait for late excursions booked through them is another good reason.

Dwayne
Old 12-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Let me add my endorsement to this. First timers need to stick with the ship's tours because of the peace of mind it gives you.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Even as veteran cruisers, we use the ship's excursions when traveling to a port that is new to us, or if the excursion takes us far from the ship. As others have said, the peace of mind stemming from the fact that the ship will wait for you is well worth any extra cost.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:47 AM

I'm going on my first cruise in April and I didn't book my excursion though the ship. I just make sure I gave myself enough time to get back to the ship before it leaves. I only booked 2 excursion. Stingray City with Captain Marvins and Dolphin Swim with Dolphin Discovery.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:25 AM

Angel, I admire your courage but I have to disagree with your decision. Yes, I have taken excursions in numerous ports without being sanctioned by the cruise line. I have had positive and negative experiences in doing so. If you are new to cruising or simply new to a particular port, it is very wise to book an excursion through the cruise line. You are guaranteed re-embarkation. If you don't think that is important, I can show you a $500 cancelled check in Rome where I made a bad decision my first trip to Europe. Until you are comfortable with a destination, book an excursion that will give you satisfaction as well as peace of mind.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:14 PM

All the people on here will tell you that Grand Caymans and Mexico are good to do on your own. I have talked to alot of people and to the places that I have booked though and I don't see us having any problems.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel59920:
All the people on here will tell you that Grand Caymans and Mexico are good to do on your own. I have talked to alot of people and to the places that I have booked though and I don't see us having any problems.
I would like to thank you all for your comments. I have now booked all my excurisons on line.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
All the people on here will tell you that Grand Caymans and Mexico are good to do on your own.
I don't know if I'd make a broad statement like that! I don't recommend it for first timers and I know I am not alone.

Closed Thread