Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2007, 02:55 PM

Bob E, so you planning on going to Tortola in January? Are you flying or cruising? The reason I ask, if you are cruising, what ship are you taking? (I'm still trying to find cruise lines/ships that are going that direction.)

If you think of it, please do a review of Tortola.

Brneyes
Old 06-11-2007, 05:19 PM

As far as shopping goes, I found it a little boring and really nothing to see near the cruise ship pier. But hey, if Penny liked it, they have to have something going! I think I was on a NCL ship at the time.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:13 AM

Island Cruz, it's not far over to Virgin Gorda, they offer excursions to the Baths, but we only did the snorkel and tour of Tortola. Chef Ken is correct, there is nothing exciting near the pier, but the northern and western side of the island is really pretty. Never really did see a "town", but did see some of the hotels they charge an arm and a leg for. They're not like the high-rises here, which I really enjoy. I don't like an island built up like Miami. I also have heard that Virgin Gorda is beautiful, but can't give you a personal view. I'd say maybe we'd do it this fall, but I know we'll be snorkeling. Maybe I can talk my hubby into snorkeling early and do an afternoon over at the Baths.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:08 AM

I did Tortola a few weeks ago and it is now one of my favorite carib islands (along with Barbados and Dominica). The economy on this island is very robust as a result of their off-shore banking industry. There are no fast food restaurants or big chain resorts/hotels on this island. Tortola boasts an unemployment rate of 0%!!! While there I notice most of the homes seemed in pretty good repair, the cars mostly appeared to be late model, the primary schools were in good condition and the children all looked well cared for. Roads are clean and in good repair.

Cane Garden Bay beach is wonderful. It has very clean soft off-white sand, almost no waves and is visually intoxicating. The lounge chairs and umbrellas rent for $5 (no deposit, just sit down and give the lady $5 when she walks by). There are local men who sell alocholic beverages in freshly opened coconuts (they give you a choice of what type of alcohol you want mixed with the coconut's water when he cuts it open -- delicious). There is a small vendor's market selling colorful souvenirs, towels, etc. and several restaurants on the beach that sells pretty decent food at a good price. There is also a wagon that sells food and amazing cocktails, etc.

I took an open air cab from the port to this beach. It requires that you kind of go up the mountain and then back down again. The scenery along the way was breathtaking. We too stopped at a restaurant at the top of one of the moutains for pictures ops.

I could easily run away to this island and live happily ever after.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Victory, CCL Imagination, CCL Victory

Past Cruzes: RCCL Navigator, RCCL Majesty, CCL Destiny,
Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)
Old 06-13-2007, 01:21 PM

Chef Ken, that is alright if there is not a lot of shopping to do. This way I can SAVE my money to spend elsewhere.

You mentioned that you thought you were on the NCL at that time. I HOPE you enjoyed it more than we did. There were many people on our Star ship that were unhappy campers with NCL.

Brneyes
Old 06-13-2007, 02:54 PM

The "Baths" were mentioned again. Will someone PLEASE tell me what they are, so I would know if I would like to see/go there or not.

Brneyes
Old 06-13-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by brneyes:
Chef Ken, that is alright if there is not a lot of shopping to do. This way I can SAVE my money to spend elsewhere.

You mentioned that you thought you were on the NCL at that time. I HOPE you enjoyed it more than we did. There were many people on our Star ship that were unhappy campers with NCL.

Brneyes
This cruise was in '04 on Norwegian Sky, just before they rolled it over to Pride of Aloha. We had a great cruise, the food was average but service staff were quite pleasant. This has changed on that particular ship with the change over to US staff. But that has been discussed to no end here.

I am hearing good things about NCL in other markets but they have a lot of bad publicity to overcome. The whole freesytle thing, I don't think has worked for them.

I would probably choose Celebrity or Princess over NCL and I have to say that Carnival is coming up in my opinion from reading posts of people on this site who I believe give a "fair and balanced" review.

I'm curious about your particular interest in Tortola? For being an average to ho-hum port, you show a lot of interest. ??
Old 06-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by brneyes:
Bob E, so you planning on going to Tortola in January? Are you flying or cruising? The reason I ask, if you are cruising, what ship are you taking? (I'm still trying to find cruise lines/ships that are going that direction.)

If you think of it, please do a review of Tortola.

Brneyes
Old 06-14-2007, 07:43 PM
We are going on the NCL Pearl...leaving Jan. 25th...a 9 day cruise....got a great price of $849 with air.....of course an inside cabin, but it's still a good price...I've never been to Tortola nor Samana...but I think that's the only two caribbean ports we've missed in 18 cruises...Will do a review of the Pearl...

Bob E
Old 06-15-2007, 03:45 AM

brneyes, The Baths are over on Virgin Gorda and you would have to take a ferry or ship excursion over. I have not been but is on my to do list. I did not care for the shopping on Tortola as someone else posted. I am going to post 2 links for info. There are many more if you Google or Yahoo!

Link 1

Link 2

Hope this helps,
IslandCruz

Closed Thread

Tags
air, british, bvi, cabs, cruise, flea, islands, isls, market, markets, open, reviews, tortola, tortolaisland, virgin