Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2007, 03:20 PM

Has anyone ever traveled to Tortola by cruise ship or otherwise?

I see it as one of the island in the Caribbean that I have not visited, and wanted to know a little about it.

Brneyes
Old 06-01-2007, 03:30 PM

We've been there twice by ship. I adored it. We snorkled both times over by Norman's Island and the snorkels were great! We also did a tour of the island by one of the local cab drivers outside of the security area. He took us to a restaurant that overlooked where the Atlantic and Caribbean met, it was like looking at a map. You could actually see a line in the water where the two oceans met. It was the difference in the colors of water, but it was really beautiful. He also took us to a beach on the northwest side of the island. He showed us the bar that Jimmy Buffet wrote Cheeseburger in Paradise when he had trouble with his sailboat and ended up stranded near Tortolla. They reached shore and he had a few beers and a cheeseburger. There were no traffic lights the last time we were there. The people were very friendly and the island, outside of the dock area, was clean. Hope you enjoy it as well as we did. Best wishes!
Old 06-01-2007, 07:56 PM

We just went to Tortola at the beginning of May. It is a very pretty island. We did a tour to the North Shore and Pussers Landing. Was very scenic, the island is not over developed or commercialized, which is nice. I did find the prices on the island re: shopping, drinks, food a bit more pricey than on other islands.

Free Cruise Tickers
Carnival Miracle-05/07
Grandeur of the Seas-03/06
Caribbean Princess-04/05
Old 06-04-2007, 08:40 AM

So you just got back from visiting the island of Tortola? Did you by chance go to any beaches, and if so, what were they like? We like going to the beaches.

Also, it looks like ( maybe you went on the Crown Princess? If so, what did you think, pro/cons of the ship? I am thinking of possibly traveling it next spring, but would like to have some input on it. I like a "glitzy" ship like the Carnival Triumph, but I have a feeling the Crown Princess is not like that?

Brneyes
Old 06-04-2007, 03:22 PM

Penny3333, thank you so much for your input on Tortola. I am starting to get "excited" about visiting that island, instead of going the Aruba way.

Did you like the beach that you seen/visited?

Do you think it would be better instead of a touring company, just taking one of the local taxi drivers, and have them drive us around to see Tortola?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by brneyes:
Penny3333, thank you so much for your input on Tortola. I am starting to get "excited" about visiting that island, instead of going the Aruba way.

Did you like the beach that you seen/visited?

Do you think it would be better instead of a touring company, just taking one of the local taxi drivers, and have them drive us around to see Tortola?
Cane Garden Bay is a gorgeous beach and you can catch an open air shuttle right where you dock. There's also a flea market within walking distance with good bargains on t-shirts (5 for $20) and other things
May 2006 Zenith to Bermuda
June 2006 Carnival Legend 8 nite
Sept 25,2006 Carnival Legend
Oct 29,2006 NCL Spirit (11 nite)
Feb 4, 2007 Carnival Legend
May14-25th,2007 3 B2B on Carnival Fascination
Sept 24,2007 Carnival Miracle
Nov 7,2007 Carnival Miracle
Jan 14 Fascination
Jan 18 Miracle
Future cruises:
Feb 25 Fascination
April 21 B2B Imagination
Sept 7,'08 Legend
Old 06-07-2007, 09:12 AM

brneyes, the cabs are very reasonable. The beach he took us to was really nice, white sand beach, there were places to get something to eat and drink as well as the vendors on the beach. I didn't see lockers there. There was also a cove, I believe it was called honeymoon cove, that was on the north side of the island. It looked very secluded, but did not have the white sand the beach on the northwest side had. The licensed cab drivers had picture ids and were right outside of the secured area. Hope this helps.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:57 PM

Popsec, am I correct that it looks like you are going to cruise the Carnival Miracle, both in September and November? If so, those are really close together, and you must really like that ship, or something about it, unless you are going "two" different directions.

Brneyes
Old 06-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the Chat on Tortola, going there next January....We've been to almost every other island except Tortola....sounds like we will like it....Happy Cruising:-)

Bob E
Old 06-09-2007, 06:49 PM

Hi Bob, and everyone. I have just been once. I was wondering if anyone has went over to Virgin Gorda from there as an excursion? I am wanting to book this again next year.

Closed Thread

Tags
air, british, bvi, cabs, cruise, flea, islands, isls, market, markets, open, reviews, tortola, tortolaisland, virgin