Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2007, 04:08 PM

Although food poisoning is also a possibility, I don't think it is as big a threat as the water issue in Mexico. I have know way too many people who have gotten sick there from the water and possibly just the little bit of water that is left on veggies when washed. It amazes me that the people that live there can be sensitized to it and the rest of us just need a tiny bit to go home with Montezuma's revenge. My family is already prone to getting stomach viruses. We don't need the added help! I would love nothing more than to have a great authentic Mexican meal while we are there but unless the cruise ship recommends the restaurant, I don't think I will take the chance! I may just forego it all together just because I have a serious salsa addiction and it it were sitting in front of me, I don't think I could control myself! Just one of my vices! Is the food in Grand Cayman pretty safe?
Old 06-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Administrator

I lived in the Philippines for most of 1976 - well, officially I lived on the base but virtually all of my off-duty time was spent in town or around Subic Bay. When I first arrived I got the "usual symptoms" one associates with this type of thing. After my body had acquired the needed resistance I really didn't have any more problems. Of course, I never drank local water. I pretty much lived on San Miguel beer as a beverage (a fine pale pilsner, most of the time). But I did eat locally prepared food - usually very well made and tasty. The funny thing was my body's reaction when I was suddenly removed from this tropical and not-so-clean environment in January 1977 and found myself back home in upstate NY. My skin dried up and cracked open in many places, and I went through some sort of withdrawal as my body got used to not having so much bacteria running through it. Very strange.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:19 PM

The food in The Caymans is safe to eat but EXPENSIVE most restaurants add the tip already on all checks. Also when you look at the prices it is in Cayman dollar not U.S. dollar. Their money is worth less than ours so the check will be higher.
When I sail to Mexico I always stat away from ice products like frozen drinks. I stick to bottled beer.

Caribbean Discounts & Deals
Old 06-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Isn't it the other way around - the Cayman dollar is actually worth more? Looking at the exchange rate, $1 U.S. = 0.82 Cayman dollars. The Caymans has a high standard of living and sanitation. I wouldn't worry about eating or drinking at just about anyplace there.

But to keep on topic, if you stick to the "beaten path" of tourism in Mexico you are usually okay.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:24 AM
Banned

Crazy, yes, the food in Grand Cayman is perfectly safe to eat. Their specialty is conch fritters. Akin to fried calamari in the states. You will find them offered up everywhere in Grand Cayman and they are scrumptious. Enjoy.

A'ndrea
Old 06-16-2007, 06:07 AM

Doesn't sound as good as chips and salsa, but I guess we can try something new. Don't they specialize in that in the Bahamas too?
Old 06-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Administrator

I'll take a plate of conch fritters any day over chips and salsa!

Old 06-16-2007, 09:35 AM
In Mexico, avoid salads and/or anything with raw fruits/veggies. Order drinks in a can or bottle - no ice. If it's cooked, it should be OK. Tacos or burritos without lettuce and tomatoes and maybe even cheese - many non-natives stomaches cannot process local cheeses. If you want water - remember "botela de agua, por favor" - bottled water and make sure the seal is unbroken. Happy cruising.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator

At the popular cruise places like Frogs, Charlies, and Fat Tuesdays I have no qualms about ordering a frozen concoction of some sort. They use filtered water for their ice too. But I wouldn't do so at some roadside stand or at Miguel's Margaritas in beautiful downtown Tijuana, for example.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:12 AM

All the stuff we shouldn't eat is what we love unfortunately. It is good to know that some places do the filtering of water for the drinks. I will use caution, though. Thanks for the pix of conch fritters. I am sure my hubby would love those! His mouth is watering now!

Closed Thread

Tags
carolinas, delivery, eat, food, foods, mexican, mexico, mybb, pineapple, powered, review, safe, traditional, traditions, vbulletin