Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 05:47 PM

I read that a bunch of people got sick from eating pineapple in Mexico. I would love to have some good Mexican food. Should we not eat the veggies also? Any suggestions for good Mexican restaurants?
Old 06-14-2007, 05:56 PM

I pretty much stick to the food at the mainstream places and on the ship. If you want some nachos at Margaritaville you're safe. Just stick to drinking what's served in bottles and cans.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-15-2007, 04:04 AM

Just to add. As far as Cozumel, Pancho's and Paradise Beach use the filtered water to my knowledge. I don't exactly know what that means, but the food is good.

Best regards,
IslandCruz
Old 06-15-2007, 04:52 AM
Administrator

Pancho's Backyard on Cozumel is very good and safe to eat and drink there.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:58 AM
Banned

Crazy, I doubt that the pineapple, alone, made the vacationer's sick. I'm betting it was the water that was used to wash the pineapple. Just an educated guess.

Stay with cruise line recommended eateries, such as Pancho's, and you will fair well. It's usually the ice and/or water that has the bacteria in it that does you in.

A'ndrea
Old 06-15-2007, 08:53 AM

You are probably right, A'ndrea. Pineapple is acidic enough that it should really not be a problem. Some ceviche is prepared with pineapple instead of lemon.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:37 AM

The thing about the pineapple really threw me because if it is the water they washed it with, it could be any vegetables that are contaminated. I knew about the not drinking the drinks but you start worrying about everything else after a while. I will try to find Panchos or one of the other restaurants that you mentioned. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Banned

Crazy, keep in mind, you may think you're playing it safe by eating a simple salad while in Mexico. People don't realize... the lettuce for the salad was rinsed in water. Say "hello" porcelain goddess! Your cruise line will offer up safe eateries for you. A word to the wise... Abide!

A'ndrea
Old 06-15-2007, 03:04 PM

That is exactly what I was thinking! I guess I will have to give up on getting my favorite salsa and guacamole! It just isn't worth it! We did our last family cruise with my kids being sick and I don't need a repeat of that experience! As much as I want to go out while we are there, if we took a chance and got sick.....I would just rather not go there!
Old 06-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Administrator

I may have mentioned this before in the forum....but a common belief is that "anything with mayonnaise" will spoil in minutes if it is left out of the fridge. I saw on the Food Network that the mayo is not normally the culprit, since it is acidic and will tend to ****** spoilage. Most often the problem is...tada...what the mayo is combined with, such as the potato salad ingredients not being properly cleaned before being tossed with the mayo. So think about that celery, those onions, and those potatoes that you may have cooked but left sitting on the counter for a while.

Closed Thread

Tags
carolinas, delivery, eat, food, foods, mexican, mexico, mybb, pineapple, powered, review, safe, traditional, traditions, vbulletin