Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2007, 08:23 AM

Do anyone have any information on any tours to Old San Juan, my husband is very interesed in going there on or cruise next year. Any good points or bad points or any highlights to tell about.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-31-2007, 10:24 AM

Ahem... Calling Casanova Frankenstein!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:26 AM

My votes are for the Bacardi Factory and a tour of Old San Juan.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:57 PM
On Carnival, they have a shore excursion called "Walking Tour of Old San Juan". It seems nice. They take you walking around El Moro castle, San Juan Bautista Cathedral, and other old places/landmarks. Then they walk you through a place where you can do some shopping. Then it's back to the ship.

The only thing is that is rated with 3 walking stick-men. That means it might be a strainuos shore excursion and not reccomended for the elderly, weak, or persons with limited mobility.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:59 PM
By the way, I have not been to San Juan yet. But in October I will go there on my cruise. That "Walking Tour of Old San Juan" will most likely be the shore excursion I will take when I get there.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:34 PM
You want exact info you can visit this site:

www.gotopuertorico.com

Also you can buy “Frommer’s Caribbean Ports”
You can find it on Borders is a great help for all your ports of call.

Well as for the tours here are few recommendations
Book directly from the cruise line
In case you have any problem and can not get on the ship on time they wait for you.

Well there a few tours you can take depending on the time you have at port:

• You can visit the El Yunque Caribbean National forest in Rio Grande is the only rain forest on the island, also a beautiful place you can see our national parrot and well most people even tell stories about OVNIS. If you want a beautiful place or natural adventures, el Yunque is the place; also they have a few cultural shopping opportunities near by.
Here is some info of el yunque : http://topuertorico.org/reference/yunque.shtml

• Old San Juan is as for now a walking place (San Juan Peatonal) you can get a Taxi to get you near some places but is most close for cars since they want to protect its “Adoquines” and history. But there are a few trolleys free of charge of our tourism department, if you are lucky, and tourist guide buses that can travel on it.

• Most of the places in San Juan are walking distance; remember you can always use the free of charge trolleys if you don’t want to walk.

• El Morro a Spanish fort and also is not expensive place beautiful, rich in history.

• Also there is “La Fortaleza” our gubernator house and is not far from el Morro or your cruise port.

• La Capilla del Cristo: a Christian chapel open on Tuesday only

• San Juan Cathedral: here is where “Juan Ponce de Leon” was buried he died looking for the fountain of youth.

• Fort of San Cristobal: a huge Spanish fortress part of El Morro.

• The Bacardi rum company is not a bad tour, but is to far from the port. My suggestion stay on old San Juan is cheaper and you can see it all in one day.

• There is a new tour where you can travel on an open air amphibious bus. First you see Old San Juan like a normal tour on a bus, you know: La Fortaleza, el morro etc. and then they travel on the bay like a boat. That is the great part you can see “El Morro” and the Old San Juan just like the pirates did years ago.

• If you have the time, and want to try Puerto Rican food, there is one restaurant, the second best in old San Juan; the “Parrot Club” prices are more or less $28 for person depending on what you order, is in the “Fortaleza street” is walking distance from the port.

• “Café Puerto Rico” is also a restaurant but less expensive and more Puerto Rican is in old San Juan in the “plaza colon in old San Juan”

Just a note:

Most people in the island don’t speak English but they can understand it so have a little patience.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Hi Casanova Wow what a great place on the gotopuertorico sight! I went to the eye tour and began to do download, but the files were damaged for some reason and I couldn't open them. I wrote the websight cause I would like to do the downloads and put it on the ipod. I luv the air amphibious bus idea. Is it on the shore excursion sight or just get it there? How much does it cost? I can't wait to see Puerto Rico for the first time. I read everything I can.
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
Old 09-02-2007, 12:42 AM
don't know much about the amphibious bus,
I remember seen it from the carnival destiny so is really near port.
As for the price I did not find out yet but I will keep trying...
Old 09-03-2007, 04:52 AM
Banned

taking a walk around the old city is the thing to do. Dont miss the new Don Q rum store for some rum tasting, for those of you who drink if not just check out the souvenirs
Old 09-03-2007, 05:30 AM

For a nice lunch in OSJ with authentic local food, there is El Meson. There you can have a Cubano sandwich and many other local favorites.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, castle, cathedral, cruise, distance, don, el, juan, morro, port, rum, san, tasting, tour, walking