Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 09:29 AM

What is the level of fitness needed to snorkel? I have never done this before but want to take an "Snorkeling by Boat" excursion.
Can anyone share their snorkeling experiences in Tortola (Norman Island) or Half Moon Cay (reefs off the back end of the island).

Navigator of the Seas 2010
Serenade of the Seas 2009, 2011
Eurodam 2008
Maasdam 2007
Amsterdam 2006
Zuiderdam 2004
Old 08-10-2007, 10:01 AM
I have not snorkeled the places you mention, but have many other places. It goes without saying that you need to be a good swimmer, but being in top physical shape is really not necessary. I have seen swimmers at all levels of fitness on my excursions. A life vest is required so all you really need to do is kick your feet--and swimfins make that pretty easy.

Most snorkel excursions I have been on divided the group into levels of proficency; and they keep a close eye on everybody. So no worries--do it and enjoy it.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Banned

Hello Hooked. Snorkeling in itself is not difficult. The main thing to remember is to stay calm and just breathe normally. If need be, the outfitters will give you inflatable vests or life jackets, so you don't worry about sinking. As you get more experience, you can dive down and explore.

I have never snorkeled at these particular sites.

Again, it all depends on your comfort level in the water. I say give it a try though!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:24 AM

We snorkeled for the first time last year. Oh my goodness it was unbelieveable. I can not swim, but we rented life vest, not the blow up kind, but the full chest life vest. I never had a problem. I even took a tour in key west that took us 7 miles out in the ocean to a reef and snorkeled. I am hooked. I have bought my own vest, that way I dont have to worry about not having one and not being able to snorkel. Also I am not as young as alot of people here so I am not in as good physical condition as a younger person and I had no problem. Doing it again on my cruise in Sept. I love it.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Banned

If you can walk, you can snorkel. It's just that easy. Put your fears to rest. It's relaxing and exhilarating all at the same time. Your vest will do a majority of the work in keeping you afloat. The excursion guides will assist you, if need be.

Relax and enjoy it. It's a lot of fun.

A'ndrea
Old 08-10-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hooked-on-HAL:
What is the level of fitness needed to snorkel? I have never done this before but want to take an "Snorkeling by Boat" excursion.
Can anyone share their snorkeling experiences in Tortola (Norman Island) or Half Moon Cay (reefs off the back end of the island).
Hi H-O-H, I have not snorkled in the places you listed. The first time I snorkled was in Mexico and it was so much fun. I would rate my swimming ability as average and I was not scared at all. I would suggest that you take a buddy along with you and maybe wear a life vest your first time.

Also, this may seem like a silly idea but you can practice at your home gym. My gym has a pool that goes up to 10ft and I practice there.

Read and post cruise reviews
Carnival Glory 2004
Carnival Liberty 2007
Carnival Inspiration 2008
Carnival Triumph 2008
Explorer of the Seas 2009
Old 08-10-2007, 12:40 PM

Fill your bathtub up with water. (Not TOO full as we are not testing Archimedes' principle) Get a large diameter drinking straw from mcdonalds. Put the straw in your mouth, pinch your nose and lay back in the water submerging your head but not the straw. Gently breath through the straw. If you can manage that snorkeling will be simple. You will have a mask and a snorkle that is 5 times the diameter of the straw. For locomotion, fins propel you alot faster than bare feet. You will be fine. Everyone who's an accomplished snorkeler did it for their first time at some point.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:00 PM

Thanks for all the great comments and suggestions. I have more questions.....

What about glasses? Eye glasses, not wine glasses. Can you only snorkel with contact lenses?? Do the masks fit over glasses or do I need to invest in contacts?

BTW, I will need two life vests. One for upper body and one to keep my lower half from sinking down. Center of gravity on a mature woman......

Eurodam 2008
Maasdam 2007
Amsterdam 2006
Zuiderdam 2004
Old 08-11-2007, 03:25 PM

Snorkeling is easy with a couple of exceptions.

I have contacts and I wear them while snorkeling all the time. No problem. The only problem is that I have a moustache and this allows water into your mask. They say you can shave the top by your nose, but the reality is that you really need to virtually shave it off to really get a tight fit.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:23 PM

ahhhh.........I don't have a moustache...yet. Maybe in 20 years I might.
I will shave my legs. Does that count?

Eurodam 2008
Maasdam 2007
Amsterdam 2006
Zuiderdam 2004

Closed Thread

Tags
cay, difficult, dificult, half, hard, moon, need, physically, salt, snorkel, snorkeling, snorkelling, snorkling, vest, water, wear