Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 09:35 PM

Any good snorkelling spots within walking distance of the cruise ship docks in Grand Cayman??

thanks
Barry
Old 12-07-2007, 05:30 AM

Yes, there are a couple of wrecks near the tender docks. Grand Cayman is a tender island, the docks aren't large enough or deep enough to handle cruise ships. We did a couple of snorkel excursions that went out about 100 yards from shore. I believe there are a couple of dive shops that you can snorkel from their docks. We did our excursions through the ship (once through Royal Caribbean and twice through Carnival). Stingray city is also a great snorkel experience. Seven mile beach is my favorite beach there, but you'll need a cab to get there. I'm not sure if we welcomed you to Cruise-Chat, so if we haven't let me say welcome aboard! Have a marvelous cruise!
Old 12-08-2007, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was just going to do snorkelling from shore because I want shallow water to do some underwater photography and in deep water the fish are too snmall in the pictures. You need to get up close. I had heard there were some decent spots within walking distance from the docks.

Thanks
Barry
Old 12-09-2007, 12:47 PM

Hi Barry, We have snorkeled several times in front of Abank's Dive Center. It is a short walk from the tender docks. It has steps to walk down in the water. They have locker and equipment rentals also. A great restuarant with a good view of the ship. The snorkeling is pretty decent considering the convenience.

Abank's Dive Center

Dwayne
Old 12-13-2007, 05:38 AM

Yes, there are a couple of snorkel locations within a short walking distance of the ferry pier. If you go right, you come up to one of the snorkel areas. It has a booth to rent snorkel equipment if you need and a restaurant. If you have your own equipment, there is no charge, or there wasn't in November. If you past the restaurant, there is a dive shop that has walk-in snorkeling. Not much coral up close to shore. There is fish there because the equipment booth in front of the restaurant sells fish food. I saw some rather large tarpon really up close and personal while snorkeling at the restaurant sight.

If you left from the ferry pier, I understand there are a couple of wreck within snorkel distance. I plan to go here next month.

Howard

Sensation - 2/2007
Carnival Glory - 10/2006
Carnival Triumph - 7/2006
Fantasy - 1/2006
Inspiration - 10/2004
USS O'Callahan
Old 12-14-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HBennett:
Yes, there are a couple of snorkel locations within a short walking distance of the ferry pier. If you go right, you come up to one of the snorkel areas. It has a booth to rent snorkel equipment if you need and a restaurant. If you have your own equipment, there is no charge, or there wasn't in November.
That would be Abank's. It was the diving company mentioned in the book by John Grisham (The Firm). And subsequent movie. I love the place. Best conch fritters in the caribbean.

Dwayne
Old 12-15-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry1:
Thanks for the reply. I was just going to do snorkelling from shore because I want shallow water to do some underwater photography and in deep water the fish are too snmall in the pictures. You need to get up close. I had heard there were some decent spots within walking distance from the docks.

Thanks
Barry
Barry1

My wife and I have snorkled at Hamburger reef before. They call it Hamburger reef because it's right behind the local Burger King. It was a really good snorkel trip and has been the best snorkeling I have done out of my three cruises. There is a ship wreck there underneath the water, but the depths are about 50 feet or less. I used one of those cheap underwater camera's and got some great shots there. Lots of fish in the area.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-21-2007, 11:37 AM

I booked an ship escursion near the cruise ship dock and cancelled it because the seas were too choppy. Not sure if this helps but if the seas weren't too choppy the scenery around where you snorkel near some ship wreck didn't look too inviting. If this is the only excursion you do hear you may be dissapointed. I'd reccommmend another spot, any one else?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:32 AM

Just don't get too close to the crusie ships - every once in awhile some sorry snorkeler gets sucked into the intake values of the ship. Very strong intake currents will pull you in fast.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
every once in awhile some sorry snorkeler gets sucked into the intake values of the ship.
Assuming you mean intake valves, I've never heard of this happening. Got any evidence to support this claim?

Closed Thread

Tags
camera, carnival, cayman, cruise, dock, gear, grand, hamburger, port, reef, renting, ship, ships, snorkel, snorkeling