Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 AM

Hi, We will be here on a cruise for about 12 hours or so and I was wondering if anyone had any helpful info on this port. Is it a safe place that we can go out on our own around town or do we need to stick with excursions? Any info that you can give me on this port would be great! Thanks
Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 AM

Hi, We will be here on a cruise for about 12 hours or so and I was wondering if anyone had any helpful info on this port. Is it a safe place that we can go out on our own around town or do we need to stick with excursions? Any info that you can give me on this port would be great! Thanks
Old 11-07-2008, 11:21 AM

We just got back from Limon having stopped there on Nov 1. The area around the port is really a lower class area - mostly working people. I didn't get the impression it was unsafe but there didn't appear to be much of interest near the port so you'll have to take a tour to see anything of the country. We did a volcano tour (ship tour) & were rushed off as soon as we got off the ship and didn't arrive back until 15 minutes before sailing. The day we were there we had a steady rain & didn't get to see much even though we traveled half way across the country except fog & rain. We never got to see the volcano either. The roads are terrible on that side of Costa Rica so be prepared to be bounced around in any vehicle. It is a nice country so maybe you'll have better weather & get to see more of it.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:45 PM
We did a private tour of the Tortugero Canal ..it was interesting. we had a great lunch at a beach side restaurant.
Check out http://www.okeydokeytours.com/
If you can get a group from the ship the prices go down I think it was about $55. pp + lunch there was 8 of us
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 11-08-2008, 07:40 AM

Four years ago we did a tour of the Tortugero Canal. We booked it through the RCCL and it was a great tour. On the way to the Canal, we stopped at a banana plantation.

On the Canal tour we saw monkeys, sloths, tropical birds, etc. The tour also included a fruit buffet which was very nice.

The weather was a little rainy that day, but the boat was covered and we were comfortable.

We enjoyed it so much that we have booked it again for our cruise in January 2009.

Nadine

Closed Thread

Tags
costa, cruisecriticspertolimoncostarica, dubai, limon, puerto, rica, stick, tour, travel, unsafe, volcano