Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2006, 06:46 AM

Going to Cococay Bahamas. A "private island" for Royal Caribbean. I've been to Labadee, it's pretty nice. Is Cococay nicer or worse if anyone has been to both? I was on a cruise with Disneys "Big Red Boat" YEARS ago and I thought that Cococay at that time was their private island. Any thoughts?
Old 06-21-2006, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Coco Cay is actually Little Stirrup Cay - just a few hundred yards from Great Stirrup Cay which is NCL's private island. I really wouldn't say one is nicer than the other - both Coco Cay and Labadee are nice but Coco Cay is smaller and easier to get around. I like the experience of actually being on a small island as opposed to a peninsula.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:07 PM

We were on CocoCay last week. It is RC's private island. They rent mats for $10 if you want to lay on the water or sand on one. Chairs are free. They also have hammocks. They serve a hot picnic lunch on the beach. There is a small "straw market" on the island. All of the vendors seem to sell the same products (made in Japan). We enjoyed our day there. Very relaxing.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:41 PM

CruiseQueen, I like Coco Cay. It's relaxing, with several beaches to choose from. It's beautiful, with things to do and lots of beach chairs. The food is served from many different stations, so that there are no lines for food anywhere.

Two problems I've noted in several visits to Coco Cay. One is that there is not a lot of shade. Unless you get there early and claim or pull a chair into the shade of a tree, expect to be in the sun. There are some hammocks strung between trees, which are great, but they're not near the water.

Second, the seagulls have gotten very aggressive in their quest for food. If you are walking away from the food area holding a plate of food, a gull may well swoop down and grab something from the plate you're holding before flying off. Royal Caribbean has strung nylon wires above the food and picnic area, to keep the birds away. I suggest eating at the area under the wires instead of taking your food back to your beach chair.

Sandy
Old 06-22-2006, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Roscoe,

In another thread someone is asking if they have the banana boat ride at Coco Cay. Do you recall if it was available?
Old 06-22-2006, 06:47 PM

I didn't see anyone using them there. They may have on the other side of the island by the inflatable slide. They were using them at the public beach in Nassau by the Atlantis Hotel.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:25 PM

We have been on Cococay with the Zenith in february 2005 and they offered rides with a banana boat.

We liked the island, it was a really nice beach day in comfortable chairs, drinks and buffet and some activities were offerd, like snorkling, parasailing and more.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:57 PM

Been to both. I think I like Labadee just a tad more, but agree that it's too big, takes a while to get around, while Coco Cay is easier on the feet. I think if I went back to Coco Cay, I'd know better to go to the desserted beach area. We didn't see this area until it was almost time to leave, looked Sooooooooo nice!!! My favorite of all private cruise ship islands is Half Moon Cay, Holland America shares this with Carnival. In all fairness though, I think I might like Coco Cay just a tad less because it was cold that day, so maybe if it wasn't cold I would have liked it better. I really believe that the cold weather has an effect on my judgement.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, cay, coco, current, food, free, half, holland, island, moon, private, roscoes, royal, temperature, vs