Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 08:18 AM

I will trade Antigua my stupid cousins from the family reunion for them.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Now the tourists are saying the police were in plain clothes and didn't identify themselves, and that the cops simply started attacking them and they fought back. Um, well, they were at a police station. Who did they think would come out of the building?

Apparently this was a van with 12 people from NYC. The 6 who didn't fight with the cops didn't get in trouble, although naturally they are siding with their pals. They claim nobody was drinking.

I'll bet this gets resolved with them losing their bail money in exchange for the charges being dropped, and being kicked out of the country.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
sometimes cheaper means jail...
Except now it's not cheaper because they had to pay $5,000 each to get out jail, they can't leave the island so they can't return to work or take care of things at home or get their luggage off the ship; they have to hire an attorney; they have to pay for living expenses while in Antigua, and let's not forget they had to buy cortizone cream for all those mosquito bites they received while incarcerated.

One of the ones not fighting should have whipped out their camera and filmed things.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Plus I'll bet they are having trouble getting taxis. Strong union.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:17 AM

If they're smart, they'll stay inside.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:23 AM

It makes you wonder what really went down. 6 argued, 6 didnt? strange. I just feel so sorry for them. But you know it is like those american journalist in Korea, they knew not to cross the boarder, they did anyway. even if it were just a few feet they still did it. should we have left them there. I dont think so.
They didnt us good sense, I am very sure they regret it. Send them home.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
I was just looking at Gene Sloan's USA Today blog and found this story. How stupid can people be? Sadly this will end up as Carnival's fault on the anti-cruise websites.
I read the article. But without knowing all the details, you can not assault a police officer. Period.

I hope everything works out for everyone involved. It must be hell being in a country where you know no one and nothing about the culture. I also read they have been tormented by mosquitoes. Horrible.

Read and post cruise reviews
Carnival Glory 2004
Carnival Liberty 2007
Carnival Inspiration 2008
Carnival Triumph 2008
Explorer of the Seas 2009
Old 09-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
you can not assault a police officer. Period.
Even if they are crooks. I got caught up in an extortion scheme in the Philippines, which involved a local cop and a bar owner. The cop had stopped me in the bar and taken my military ID. He knew I would get an automatic 30 day restriction to the base if I lost it, and the bar owner was going to claim I assaulted him unless I paid them off. So I did and got my ID back. Sometimes you just can't win and need to be smart enough to know it. I could have easily found myself in the Olongapo City jail, and then in trouble with my command, and none of them would have listened if I said the cop was crooked. I learned a lesson and was more choosy about where I drank after that.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Even if they are crooks. I got caught up in an extortion scheme in the Philippines, which involved a local cop and a bar owner. The cop had stopped me in the bar and taken my military ID. He knew I would get an automatic 30 day restriction to the base if I lost it, and the bar owner was going to claim I assaulted him unless I paid them off. So I did and got my ID back. Sometimes you just can't win and need to be smart enough to know it. I could have easily found myself in the Olongapo City jail, and then in trouble with my command, and none of them would have listened if I said the cop was crooked. I learned a lesson and was more choosy about where I drank after that.
The same type of thing happened to me in Tiajuana,Mexico after 2 buddies and I were jumped from behind by 6 locals!(we were walking back to the border! ) It was the Americanos that the Nationales
busted, hauled us to the calaboso, and after 6 hours took us into court where with no charges posted we were each fined exactly $5.00 less than what we had in each of our wallets (which they had confiscated). Then we were put into cabs and taken to the US border -strangely the cab fare was $5.00 each!! Talk about a racket!!! One needs only to view Cheech Marin's movie "Coming to America" to see what the Tiajuana Jail is like - it is very accurate!!!

At least our military ID's were still in the wallets!! To this day I will not vacation in Mexico- but a day visit from a cruiseliner is the only way I will go!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 09-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Mine cost me 400 pesos, which was around $50. But that was a lot of money to an E-4 in 1976. I think I got $144 each payday.

Closed Thread

Tags
antigua, arrest, arrested, cab, cruise, fares, island, lucia, marine, park, people, police, quotes, reviews, st