Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 12:51 PM

I have watched enough "Looked Up Abroad" to know that I don't want to be in that situation.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:55 PM

You have me really looking forward to my cruise and my four Mexican port-of-calls.

If you don't hear from me again, send a bondsman to Mexico.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:01 PM

this was told by a table mate on a cruise a few yrs back.
seems they rented a car in cozumel to do a tour on their own. somewhere along the way a police man stopped them for speeding, which they didnt belive they were speeding but did not argue with the officier and the police told them they must go to the police station, to follow him, which they did, after a few miles the police officer pulled over and told them to keep following him, which they did. this happened 2 or 3 times. finally the police officier told them they could just go on their way, but not to speed again.
they headed right straight back to the cruise ship ,believing the officier wanted money, a bribe which he did not get.
I believe cozumel to be a safe port, but I did believe these people when they told it.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Maurine - As has been said earlier - Stick with the ship's tours and don't sweat it!!! For one thing - you won't be in port in the later hours of the evening and you won't be walking down darkened alleys. The cruiselines do a great job of trying to keep their passengers away from the less than desireable areas!!

Foreign travel is really quite safe and the tours will see to that, Tiajuana is a border town with all the peculiar problems of a border town, where you will be in Mexico is a much different environment!! (and much safer!)

If it helps- I'm planning to do the Mexican Riviera in early 2012- and I am anxiously awaiting the cruises schedules for the late 2011 to early 2012 seasons!

BillyBuzzy
Old 09-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by macmom111:
this was told by a table mate on a cruise a few yrs back.
seems they rented a car in cozumel to do a tour on their own. somewhere along the way a police man stopped them for speeding, which they didnt belive they were speeding but did not argue with the officier and the police told them they must go to the police station, to follow him, which they did, after a few miles the police officer pulled over and told them to keep following him, which they did. this happened 2 or 3 times. finally the police officier told them they could just go on their way, but not to speed again.
they headed right straight back to the cruise ship ,believing the officier wanted money, a bribe which he did not get.
I believe cozumel to be a safe port, but I did believe these people when they told it.
Actually my sister studied in meXico and that is exactly what he was probably looking for that's call "mordia" just so you know
don't ever think that can happen on Puerto Rico...you will do time if you try
Old 09-09-2009, 01:32 PM

We're doing the cruise tours except in Puerto Vallarta where we're just going to take a taxi into town and walk around on our own. In a couple other ports we'll be walking around on our own after the excursions as well. Yes, the latest the ships leave is 6ish so we'll be out of there before dark.

So why didn't the PO ask for money if that's what he wanted? Maybe something spooked him.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:37 PM
there are only a few port where I will wlak away after a cruise tour my recomendation talk to your tour guide first...
Old 09-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Quote:
One needs only to view Cheech Marin's movie "Coming to America" to see what the Tiajuana Jail is like - it is very accurate!!!

Sorry Gang - I gave you the wrong name for the movie, It is "Born in East L.A.", My mistake!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 09-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Administrator

I remember when my Navy ship visited Athens, Greece, about 30 years ago. Before we could go on liberty we had to view a recorded lecture from a Marine Lt. Colonel from the U.S. Embassy. Being a former Marine I loved it because he told it like it was in that frank way that only a Marine can do.

Some things I remember from it, and it lasted 45 minutes: "Number 1, you are in Greece and they couldn't care less that you are an American citizen. Number 2, be careful of your hand gestures because this one means one thing to you, but it means something obscene to the Greeks. If you do this gesture to a Greek woman her husband or boyfriend will likely kick your ***. If #2 happens there is nothing we at the embassy will do about it, and your *** will remained kicked. Do not think about getting even for having your *** kicked unless you want to experience a variation of the movie Midnight Express, if you get my drift. That is the way it is here and if you can't accept it then stay on your ship and don't make life difficult for me and my staff." I wish I had a tape of it. It would prove useful to many Americans.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:26 AM

That's funny, but good advice Dave! Yes, they should show that on the cruises like they have muster drills.

Closed Thread

Tags
antigua, arrest, arrested, cab, cruise, fares, island, lucia, marine, park, people, police, quotes, reviews, st