Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 04:16 AM

Yes,that is true about Jamaica. The Jamaican authorities check your belongings before you get back on the ship. And, of course, they are checked as you board the ship. I have been in many ports and don't remember being checked twice until Jamaica.

It's no big deal if you have nothing to hide.

Read and post cruise reviews
Carnival Glory 2004
Carnival Liberty 2007
Carnival Inspiration 2008
Carnival Triumph 2008
Explorer of the Seas 2009
Old 09-14-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by macmom111:
are you worried?
No, I am not worried. I am not planning on buying drugs or weapons, etc. It's just time consuming and an imposition, but it's fine. I'll live and it ensures no one brings stuff on board.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Administrator

What surprised me at Montego Bay in 2006 was female guards (Jamaican) patting down male passengers at the one lane which didn't have a metal detector, but when female passengers came through the male guards appropriately didn't touch them.

No more word on the Antigua Six. The could face two years in prison but their lawyer says it is most likely going to be fines and expulsion.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
when female passengers came through the male guards appropriately didn't touch them.
You don't want a male guard patting down a female's chest area, but I guess it's okay for a female to pat a male's chest. I'm sure it's not a full pat down like police may do.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Here is the latest on this issue.

Sounds like a communication problem. They thought it was $50 round-trip and the driver was saying $50 each way.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm sure it's not a full pat down like police may do.
Oh yes, it was. Arms, chest, waist, legs, etc. They wore rubber gloves.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:59 PM

After reading this, I'm surprised any locals will deal with any tourists at all. That is totally ridiculous. They sounded like they were all drunk and probably spent their money in a bar instead of paying their driver. He did what he was contracted to do. Do these individuals believe the gas is cheaper on the islands? I hope they fine them big time. I cannot believe people would actually stiff a driver, they wouldn't get away with it in the states. I do hope that this doesn't spoil it for the rest of us. Antigua is a great place with very friendly locals. I sure don't want that to change towards us.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:07 PM

I hate it for the tourist. they should have paid the bill and took it as a lesson learned. but I do wonder if the taxi driver miss led them on purpose....it has been known to happen...
Old 09-17-2009, 01:27 PM

I might be wrong, but I don't think $100 for 11 people is a bad price. They were dropped off and picked up. The driver held up his end of the agreement, they didn't.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Administrator

The gasoline price is important. People go to these little islands and see shanties and poverty and assume they must have cheap fuel and food prices. And as most of us know, it is just the opposite since it is common for islands to have to import almost everything.

Closed Thread

Tags
antigua, arrest, arrested, cab, cruise, fares, island, lucia, marine, park, people, police, quotes, reviews, st