Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 01:23 PM

The comments below the report are very interesting.

Dwayne
Old 10-02-2009, 01:53 PM

Very interesting, Dwayne. It looks like this isn't the first time, nor will it be the last time, that things have not gone well in Antigua for tourists. I sure had no idea that unemployment there was 40%.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Administrator

40%. Wow, and I thought we had problems. And now with MSC canceling their stops there for the rest of this year it will get worse.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:05 PM

The Carnival Dream still has Antigua on the itinerary for the Dec 3 Florida Inaugural 9 day cruise. The one I had to cancel.

My thinking is they need to take this opportunity to make an exceptional impression on the guests. Lots of VIP's on that cruise that could have some influence with Carnival. Then again, when "Uncle Bob" pulled St. Croix that was it.

Dwayne
Old 10-03-2009, 06:38 PM

Our best friends had the same type of problem 3 years ago in St. Thomas, USVI. They and another couple got off the ship and hunted for a cab to drive them around the island on a tour. They found one and agree on a price and pay. They had a great tour and the cab driver was very interesting and took them to lots of places that you would not see on a cruise line tour. Once back at the port the driver say, that will be $$ as you have not pay yet. So my friend blew up and saw a police officer walking pass so yell at him to come over. The police asked what's going on and they say the driver wanted to charge double as they already pay. He advised the tourist, my friends and the other couple to pay up or they will be going to jail for non payment. My friend is a little hot headed and started mouthing off, but luckly his wife and the other couple kepth there cool and luckly had enough cash on all of them to pay. So this type of things goes on everywhere.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Administrator

"Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s" is a good way to think of it.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Administrator

According to reports, a plea deal has been reached. Five of them have pled guilty and charges were dropped against the sixth person. They will be sentenced on Monday, apparently it will be fines and a "get off our island and don't come back" edict.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:03 PM

After this ordeal, I doubt they'll have to worry about them coming back anyway.

wooddon, a similar situation happened to me on S.T. once while returning from Red Hook. It was a van full of people and the driver made several stops at different locations/hotels while returning to Havensight. He said I owed approximately 1/3 more than what was posted as the fare.

I refused to pay the extra and asked to speak with the dispatcher. He backed down then. Needless to say he didn't get a tip. Since the taxi fares are regulated there, I knew what the fare was. I wouldn't have gotten into any kind of physical altercation though, and would have paid it. I feel bad for the innocent people on Antigua who are going to be impacted by this.

Dwayne
Old 10-05-2009, 07:29 AM

The cab driver in Barbados charged us $90/each way to go to Folkstone Marine Park, a driver in St. Lucia charged us $85/each way to go to Pigeon Island. To me, these were both way over what it should have been. Pigeon Island was probably 15 miles, and Folkstone was maybe 20 miles. I wasn't going to argue, though, they told me up front. So I paid what they wanted. I know I was ripped off, but I sure don't want to visit the islands in their jails.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Administrator

This is the latest report. My, they sure have cops wearing lots of expensive bling down there. I suspect the values were a bit exaggerated.

I am monitoring that site to get the report about sentencing.

Closed Thread

Tags
antigua, arrest, arrested, cab, cruise, fares, island, lucia, marine, park, people, police, quotes, reviews, st