Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2008, 11:46 AM

I'm leaving soon on my cruise, can't wait!!! I remember reading about a good place to snorkel in Cozumel & I thought it started with a C. We're going shopping first then thought could just take a cab to the place so we will only be spending a couple of hours snorkeling. Ideas?

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-28-2008, 11:50 AM

chanacanob park. it is a 10 dollar taxi ride each way...and i think 15 to get in. absolutely beautiful beach and snorkeling area there.
you will love it
Old 05-28-2008, 01:07 PM

It's Chankanaab Park, and a very nice area. The snorkeling isn't as good as it was before the hurricane because a lot of the reef was destroyed, but it is still not bad. My favorite place is Xel-ha, but it takes a while to get to. You have to take a ferry to the mainland, then a cab/bus/van to Xel-ha, so you spend a lot of transit time (around 3-3 1/2 hours). We went to Paradise Beach in January, great beach but no so great snorkeling. Chankanaab Park is much better for snorkeling. Have a wonderful time!
Old 05-29-2008, 04:41 PM

Having been both to Xel Ha and Xcaret, I thought Xel Ha was not nearly as good as Xcaret. However, it has been several years since we went to Xcaret and they look to have expanded considerably since then. I Google Earth'ed Xcaret and it looks five times the size of what it was. The water was very clean in Xcaret but at Xel Ha the water was cloudy the day we were there.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:03 AM

What is the difference in terms of what to do at Chankanaab Park vs. Xcaret? One seems much more pricier than the other.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2008, 06:40 AM

I would assume the main difference in price is the cost of transportation. They both have snorkeling, swimming, dolphins, Chankanaab does not have any ruins. Sorry the water was cloudy the day you were in Xel ha, Desert Rat, the day we were there it was crystal clear. I'll have to give Xcaret a try some time.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
What is the difference in terms of what to do at Chankanaab Park vs. Xcaret? One seems much more pricier than the other.
Two reasons for the price difference; Xcaret is on the mainland so you have to take the ferry from Cozumel to get there. The second reason is Xcaret is significantly larger than Chankanaab and has more stuff - a zoo, aquarium, underground tubing river, even a cemetery (Xcaret has a catholic church within it's grounds). They charge much more to enter Xcaret. All that said - I really don't care much for Xcaret. It is tiring to walk around and much more commercial than they claim to be. You can do the dolphins at either place. I prefer Chankanaab to Xcaret because it is more quaint and easier to access.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:07 AM

Thanks! I just checked prices: Chankanaab costs $16 to enter and Xcaret costs over $60!
Old 05-30-2008, 07:40 AM

W have done the Fury Catamaran 3 times and it its the best. You snorkel and then go to their private beach. All the FREE Margaritas and beer you want. And it's under $50 a person! The crew couldn't be nicer. I thinbk it's the best way to enjoy yourself and see the sights.

Closed Thread

Tags
aruba, caribbean, chankanaab, cozumel, park, review, royal, snorkeling, xcaret