Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 07:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Isnt cozumel considered a mexican port?
Yes technically, Cozumel is a Mexican port, as is Costa Maya. Belize City is Belize, Roatan, is Honduras. But you can only get to these via a Carribean Cruise.

To get really technical, there are very few Carribean ports that are actually in the Carribean. All the windward and leeward islands border the Atlantic Ocean and the Carribean Sea, so some of these ports are no more "Carribean" then Cozumel (in fact less). Doesn't it sound more exotic to say "Carribean Cruise" vs. Yucatan Pennisula, or Windward or Leeward Island cruises?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:04 AM

I'm with carlg on this one. I like all the ports. We've been to some of these many time & do something different every time we are there. So my favorite port in the one I'm in an any particular day!

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-21-2007, 11:12 AM

Cozumel wins hands down!! The people there admit they have no industry, the soil doesn't grow anything, and they have no sopecific exports. Their ONLY source of income is tourists...so they make absolutely certain that you had a GREAT time and want to come back!! Water is beautiful, stores are fair, and the food is excellent!!
Old 05-21-2007, 04:12 PM
Banned

Well said Steve. The people are hard working in Cozumel and they will gladly do anything to make your stay there a pleasant one.

I remember on our honeymoon there 20 years ago, we stayed at the El Presidente Hotel. My husband and I got so sick from their water. All I was able to hold down was a fish chowder they made at the hotel.

I became accustomed to eating it everyday for lunch. There was a hut on the beach that served drinks and light food. When my husband and I would get done snorkeling we would head over to the hut for our daily chowder. The same bar worker would see me coming every day and he would put my bowl of soup out so it was ready for me when I got there.

It's the little things like that, that make Cozumel special and unique.
A'ndrea
Old 05-21-2007, 05:53 PM

My favorite ports in the caribbean to book are...

Cococay
Princess Cay
Nassau
Grand Bahama
Half Moon Cay
Key West
Cozumel
Cancun
Progresso/Meridia
Costa Maya
Belize City
Grand Cayman
Labadee
Dominico
SantoCatalina Island (the one in the Caribbean)
Ocho Rios
Montego Bay
Aruba
Curacao
San Juan
St. Thomas
Tortola
Turks and Caicos
St. Maartin
St. Barts
St. Kitts
Antigua
St. Lucia
Barbados
Grenada
Margarita Island

As far as visiting myself, not crazy about the Bahamas (except the private islands), Jamaica or Belize City. But even each of these has benefits. Where else but Belize can you see Howler Monkeys? And Dunns River Falls is really cool... once!

How's that for your ststistics research?

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-21-2007, 05:56 PM

carl, dog-gone-it I knew I forgot at least one... Roatan!

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Add my vote for Labadee,Haiti on the island of Hispaniola-It still looks much the same from the sea as when Columbus visited. Labadee was the last port for the Santa Maria before she was lost to the sea.

BillyBuzzy
Old 05-22-2007, 05:22 AM

I like most of the ports mentioned.

Speaking of "ports" and not particularly any excursions available in those ports, and by way of elimination, I do not care for:
Antigua, Progresso, or Tortola as ports go.

There will be some "new" ports to try via Celebrity's new ships, the Quest and the Journey. For example, Mayaguez Puerto Rico to mention one!
Old 05-22-2007, 05:39 AM
Banned

Ken, I'm with you on Progreso. Nothing to do. Boring. We did their straw market then headed directly back to the ship.
Their pier was beautifully built and structurally sound. What does that tell you about my stay in Progreso?
A'ndrea
Old 05-24-2007, 05:09 AM

Yawn! Very long pier, very rickety bus. We payed a dollar to get on a truck fashioned into a make-shift bus that drove us around the town. I'm just glad the brakes worked. I did buy some excellent hot sauce in the town square!

Closed Thread

Tags
besr, call, caribbean, caribean, carribean, cll, cruise, favorite, favotite, port, portchat, ports, royal, sauce, york