Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2006, 11:02 AM

Does anyone know the best ports and locations on the islands in the West Caribbean to go shopping for Emeralds? We will be taking a cruise on the Miracle and our ports of call are as follows: Grand Caymans, Cozumel, Belize, and Costa Maya. We will be celebrating our 7th Wedding Anniversary and my husband and I have discussed the idea of him buying me a Anniversary ring. We went on a Cruise last year and we docked in Cozumel. There were many jewelry shops there, but with Wilma doing such damage, I'm not sure if they are up and doing business again. If anyone has any suggestions or tips, please share. Thank you.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-08-2006, 11:55 AM

Out of the ports you listed, Grand Cayman is the best. It is more expensive than St. Thomas, but the quality of the gems are better. Happy anniversary and enjoy your cruise!!
Old 06-08-2006, 01:04 PM

I would exercise caution in buying any stones at the ports listed UNLESS a.) you are very familiar/knowledgeable and can recognize good from poor or rather, real from fake OR b.) you buy from an old-line, international company (and even then, caveat emptor). I would rather see you buy something from your hometown jeweler and just enjoy your "7th" on the cruise with dinners, wine, flowers and passion!

Old 06-08-2006, 02:14 PM

Thank you Penny. We will have to look there.
Hope

Old 06-08-2006, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the info. ChucksOK I will take your suggestions into consideration when we are on our cruise.
Hope

Old 06-08-2006, 02:53 PM

Hey Hope,

From my experience, Diamonds International will have the best selection re: emeralds. I have a girlfriend that happens to have emerld as her birthday stone. Lucky me. To be honest with you, I haven't been to any of these islands, but I would be shocked if Diamonds Intern. is not located on one of them.
From the looks of your islands, you must be sailing on Carnival Valor. If that is the case, you can do one of two things:

1. If you booked your cruise directly with CCL, call them and ask the agent to e-mail you the Carnival Capers. This is the daily news flyer that is placed in your stateroom each evening highlighting all the next days events. The Capers will show all CCL sponsored vendors in each respective port of call.
2. If you booked your cruise thru a travel agent, they will have to call CCL for you, and have it e-mailed to them. The cruiselines will not give information on your booking, even though it's you calling, if booked with an agent.
Lastly, I have sailed on the Miracle, and she is a GORGEOUS ship. Very well laid out and great food. Speaking of food, you and your hubby MUST go to the Supper Club one night. Best meal you will ever have.
Hope I helped. Take care,

Billy

Grand Cayman is the best place to buy jewlry out of the ports you are visiting. St. Thomas is a little less expensive, but the quality of gems in Grand Cayman is better. Enjoy your cruise!!

Thank you Billy, I am looking forward to our curise especially since my husband is in Iraq and we will be going when he gets back. I'm glad to hear that the Miracle is such a nice ship. I will keep Diamonds International in mind and I will tell my husband, he does all the research.......he is the research KING!! LOL I didn't know you could ask CCL to email you the Carnival Capers for the ship you would be sailing on. We did book through Carnival so I will have to give them a call and have them do that for me. We will have to go to the supper club and enjoy a meal there, there is nothing better than a good meal. Thanks once again, Hope

Old 06-09-2006, 02:19 AM

Hope,

you have to be careful with Diamond and Tanzanite International. We had some former threads here about the quality of their gemstones.

I always buy jewels, especially in the Caribbean. But we prefer small family owned stores, with a long history in the business. Try to find the thread about jewels with the search-engine. Its really interesting and with some good advices.

On Grand Cayman was an excellent store, Im not sure, but it could have been Little Switzerland with very good choices and very kindly salesmen.

Prices in St. Thomas or St. Maarten are better for jewels, but they our not on your itinerary.

Try to find the other thread, it will help.

Best regards
Marita

Old 06-09-2006, 07:23 AM

Hi Hope,

I remember seeing a link from the cruise reviews home page that provided a ton of infomation on buy jewlery at various ports and businesses. I think Tom Ogg did the review and it was very helpful. You might want to check it out.
Keep Cruising and Enjoy Life.
Caseyg

Caseyg

Closed Thread

Tags
caracus, caribbean, cayman, grand, jewelery, jewelry, jewlery, maarten, port, reviews, shopping, shops, st, store, switzerland, vidora