Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:25 PM

Hello,

We're cruising the So Carribbean in May and I was wondering if anyone out there has suggestions on shore excursions? We have 6 ports of call, so it's little overwhelming trying to decide what we shouldn't miss. All your help would be appreciated. Also suggestions for a moderately price room in San Juan would be great too!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:01 PM

I'll be doing the same cruise a month later, so I'm afraid I won't be much help. I can help with San Juan and St Thomas as I have been there before.

We need more information though- which ports of call are you looking for information on. What type of activities are you interested in (shopping, scuba, hiking, etc..)
Also hotels in San Juan very greatly in price. So you have to define what you consider moderate. For instance a Hampton Inn hotel room goes for $150 But a four star hotel can be $400.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 02-20-2009, 05:38 AM

Which ports might they be?
Old 02-20-2009, 07:02 AM

They are:

San Juan
St. Thomas
Dominica
Barbados
St. Lucia
Antigua
St. Kitts

I prefer the more adventurous or relaxing shore excursions, rather than shopping. I like to try out find out what is the most unique experience of each place and do that.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:06 AM

San Juan: Old San Juan or Bacardi Factory
St. Thomas: Trip to St. Johns, Trunk Bay
Dominica: Definitely Champagne Reef snorkel. I highly recommend doing this by boat and not by shore. They have built a walkway to get to the reef, but you still have huge boulders while trying to get into and out of the water. This is the best snorkel I've done in the Caribbean. There is all types of sea life, but the best part is you snorkel over a volcano vent. The bubbles coming up make it look like you're in a glass of champagne. You can actually feel the change of temperature in the water.
Barbados: Tiami Catamaran Sail/Snorkel or take a cab to the Folkstone Underwater Park.
St. Lucia: Pigeon Island, Snorkel to the Pitons, or the jeep tour that takes you to a nice waterfall. You have to climb down the side of a mountain to get to the waterfall, and they stop in a couple of villages.
Antigua: We just hired a cab, they took us to Shirley Heights, English Harbour, and a nice beach for $25/pp. the last time we were there. Scott Taylor did a review of Pineapple Beach and said that was a nice stop as well.
St. Kitts: We did a tour if the island, went to a batik factory, and have done a couple of snorkels there.
The islands you're visiting are really friendly, lush, and a lot of fun. Have a fantastic time!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mustangirl84:
They are:

San Juan
St. Thomas
Dominica
Barbados
St. Lucia
Antigua
St. Kitts

I prefer the more adventurous or relaxing shore excursions, rather than shopping. I like to try out find out what is the most unique experience of each place and do that.
Hi: I started a thread not long ago (see it in this forum). We're doing the volcano hike on St. Kitts (Mt. Liamuiga) - last time on St. Kitts we did a nice kayak tour along the coast. In Antigua we're doing a Paddles tour, which includes kayaking and hiking, on St. Thomas we're going to Trunk Bay and also shopping downtown, plus probably climbing the 99 steps to Blackbeards. Last time in St. Thomas we went to Megan's Bay.....somewhat over-rated, IMO. In St. Lucia we hired a private outfit to take us on a difficult rainforest hike. In Barbados we're doing a 5-hour catamaran trip - snorkling and swimming with turtles. If you want any links to the websites of these outfits, let me know here. We're also adventurous, so we did a lot of research to make sure we get good activity during the day.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:28 AM

Sure links to the all of those websites would be great, Thanks!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mustangirl84:
Sure links to the all of those websites would be great, Thanks!
Barbados: Silver Moon:
http://www.silvermoonbarbados.com/index.htm

St. Lucia: Jungle Tours
http://www.jungletoursstlucia.com/rainforest.htm

Antigua: Paddles
http://www.antiguapaddles.com/

We're going through the ship for the hike on St. Kitts since it's a 9-hour RT and we feel more comfortable about getting back on time.

We're leaving on 3/20. When is your cruise starting?
Old 02-25-2009, 02:10 PM

Great thanks!

We're leaving 5/17, I can't wait! You'll have to let me know how your cruise went, when you get back!
Old 02-25-2009, 06:28 PM

I will 2nd Penny's recommendation of the Champagne Snorkeling in Dominica. It was not very taxing but was extremely enjoyable. When you clear the crater rim the temp of the water must go up 15-20 degrees; very interesting. I really did not know there was a way to do the snorkeling except by boat?? On another note, when we last did this 3-4 years ago they sold some t-shirts on the snorkeling boat (think they were getting rid of old stock because they were very inexpensive). We bought several (all with diving and water themes) and they were the best shirts we ever bought on a trip anywhere. They have lasted forever.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
dominica