Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 11:08 AM

No, I have heard other cruise lines are also canceling their shore excursions to the Coki Beach area where the incident took place. This was not an incident targeted at cruise passengers, but an unfortunate incident of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:40 PM

Such a sad tradegy, and to happen on St. Thomas.
We have been to StThomas several times and have always felt safe walking or touring the island.I have said it before; Caribbean Islands are no different that any other place we travel as tourists, including our major, and not so major US tourist attractions. One needs to be aware of surroundings at all times and not be in places that are considered crime ridden. I have looked at many islands we have traveled to and we can see poverty and things that can prompt acts of violence. Viligence is the word here..

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Well I don't really think they will take out st Thomas if they deal with this situation in an effective way...
As for the situation the news are reporting that carnival is going to take care for everything, the funeral, refound the cruise money and even they will be paying for professional help for the family in order to deal with this situation.
The way I see it Carnival is very concern about this problem and even the st Thomas tourist department have try to fix the situation with the family in Puerto Rico...as It goes aparently st Thomas is worried that carnival may go away from them as a port of call if they don't deal with this situation in a satisfactory way

I know this is not Carnival foult,nobody could possible knew this was going to happen
but it good to know the company have made all the arrangement and that at least, in my impression,
have deal with this in more efective way than st thomas
Old 07-15-2010, 03:08 PM

That is wonderful news, Cas, Carnival was not responsible at all. They were on an independent tour. I hope you're right and they won't pull St. Thomas, but the tourism board and the government of St. Thomas need to take immediate actions to insure that this type of tragedy does not happen again. Of course, it could have happened anywhere in the world, it's just the stupidity of the gang mentality. Tourism has taken a hit in many places due to crime and if St. Thomas is wise, they'll nip it in the bud. They'll make sure the tourist areas are safe. It's impossible to stop lunatics, but it is possible to make a good effort to stop them.

I know the people of San Juan are mourning. I just pray that something positive can come out of this.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
I walked from Havensight to K-mart once without any trouble. I forgot my dress slacks. That was several years ago though. I hope they get this situation under control. I read they are scrambling now after this tragedy. The only relation to Carnival this has is the girl came to the island aboard the Victory. It could have just as easily been another cruise line or someone staying at one of the resorts.
Hubby and I walked from the ship to Kmart in December without incident. (that was our big excursion....LOL...can you tell we have been there many times.?)

I never felt even the slightest feeling of uneasiness.

Hubby and I have also done the 45 minute walk from Havensight to downtown ....and again without incident. That was last year (May I think)
Old 07-17-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Hubby and I walked from the ship to Kmart in December without incident. (that was our big excursion....LOL...can you tell we have been there many times.?)
You were the one that told me there was a Kmart up the hill.

I believe they are going to get the outlaws under control. It is a shame this happened. I love St. Thomas.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:52 AM
I love St. Thomas too, and Coki beach in particular. I think that this isn't that different than a headline we might read in any city on the mainland. I certainly understand that this is what we go on vacation to escape, but these are the realities of today's world.
If the bus had been contracted through Carnival, the outcome would have been tragic just the same.
I'm hoping this is the wake up call that makes them reclaim this beautiful area, because it has been going steadily down hill during the 15 or so years we've been going there. Most noticibly in the past 3 or 4.
We'll continue to go there and continue to be vigilant both at home and abroad.

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 07-17-2010, 01:50 PM
To tell you the thruth I think St Thomas is in a pretty deep trouble...
Most cruise lines have decide to cancel all their tours near Coki Beach and coral world and, as I have seen on few cruise news websites, they are waiting to see what st Thomas is planning to do with this situation.

many cruiselines are even considering change the port of call if this turns out financially bad for them.
This can happen in any place not only st Thomas I'll give you that but When you go on vacation you usually run from these kind of problems and mostly if this affect their bookings at the end they will decide to leave st Thomas as a port of call...we will see in the future
Old 07-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Administrator

The U.S. Virgin Islands has had a checkered past with cruise lines. St. Croix was removed from many itineraries a few years ago because of crime.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:30 AM
Administrator

St. Thomas police are making drastic changes in their patrols and monitoring of activities, according to USA Today writer Gene Sloan.

Since this topic is really about St. Thomas and not about Carnival, I am going to move it to Caribbean Port Chat.

Tags
american, carnival, costa, cruise, forum, incident, jan, kills, military, port, rica, robber, ships, st, thomas