Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim C.:
The beggars even follow you onto the ship booked excursions! The last time we were there we did not want to get off the ship, but found a ship excursion for snorkeling that said they picked you up "right from the ship dock" Which they did. We got off the ship and walked 50 yards to the pick up point and got on a catamaran and they took us snorkeling. After our "snorkle time" was up, they took us to a beach for a beach break... of course it was a public beach full of "hair braiders" and "bead sellers" and "hey man, you want some smoke man...." We then got back on the catamaran and headed back to the same spot they picked us up at. But beggars (friends of the operator I guess) got on at the beach and tried to sell us friendship braclets all the way back to the ship. Then, when they got us back, instead of letting us walk back to the ship the way we came, they forced us to walk out of the secured area and back into the entrance of the dock so we could go through "customs" which was nothing more than an excuse to make us walk the gauntlet of shops and beggars to get back onto the ship... past the high school band marching up and down in front of the ship with their hat in hand asking for donations....

Like I already said... no need to get off the ship. I understand it is a poor country, but so is Belize. I had no problem walking through Belize city and looking at stuff to buy. Yes, there was the occasional hard sell, but only if I was looking at what they were selling. Can't fault them for that.
I would have let the cruise line know about that.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 07-05-2007, 07:35 PM

Larry, the cruiselines know. They use local operators and in Jamaica the heavy handed tactics and mob selling is tradition. Have you noticed that the biggest attraction there, Dunns River falls forces you into that horrible market before you can return to the ship? If you find an operator that does not practice letting his buddies sell you goods for a take of what is offered you've found the exception to the rule.

It's just Jamaica. Don't take a cab on your own. Stay in a group or stay on the ship. You'll miss a beautiful island but in my opinion it's worth missing to avoid the hassle.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-05-2007, 07:47 PM

I have climbed a water fall before, and it was horribly slippery. Even with my Teva sandals, I was slipping around on the rocks. Is Dunn Falls slippery too? Just wondering. Thanks, Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-05-2007, 09:19 PM

Lil' Lori, Yeppers is slippery. Get a pair of the good water shoes is my recomendation.

IslandCruz
Old 07-06-2007, 05:15 PM

Thanks for your advice. I am hoping to get to Sunset Beach w/o any hassle and back. My kids have only been to Galveston Beach and I want them to experience a real beach.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:56 PM

Another site a lot of people have said that they allow you to come in for $40.00 per person.
My DH would love to "accidentally" walk into the nude beach area. ha ha
Old 07-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TrvlPro:
Larry, the cruiselines know. They use local operators and in Jamaica the heavy handed tactics and mob selling is tradition. Have you noticed that the biggest attraction there, Dunns River falls forces you into that horrible market before you can return to the ship? If you find an operator that does not practice letting his buddies sell you goods for a take of what is offered you've found the exception to the rule.

It's just Jamaica. Don't take a cab on your own. Stay in a group or stay on the ship. You'll miss a beautiful island but in my opinion it's worth missing to avoid the hassle.

Cheers, Neil
Yes they "know" about that sort of thing. If they get enough complaints about an operator letting his buddies harass people on the excursion they will be dropped.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 07-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Lil' Lori
Experienced Cruiser
I have climbed a water fall before, and it was horribly slippery. Even with my Teva sandals, I was slipping around on the rocks. Is Dunn Falls slippery too? Just wondering. Thanks, Lil' Lori

Yes, Lori. To answer your question. D.R.F. is very slippery. I also wore Teva's and I was a slippin' and a slidin'. Perhaps old sneakers are best.

A'ndrea

Closed Thread

Tags
beggars, boat, carnival, cruise, dunn, dunns, fall, falls, jamacia, jamaica, pete, reviews, river, taylor, walk