Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2007, 05:43 PM

My DH is very nervous about stopping in Jamaica. I was wondering if anyone went to Dunn Falls? Did you enjoy it? Did you feel safe? I have two DD 6 and 10--Do you think the 2 hour drive would be to much? thanks for your help
We leave July 15 on the Conquest out of Galveston
Old 06-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Banned

Hi glynette. Welcome.

Here's my personal take on Dunn's River Falls. I loved it. To me, it's a wonder of the world that, if given the opportunity, should not be missed.

My only recommendation is to book this excursion through Carnival directly. Jamaica is not a place to venture off on your own. EVER.

We booked with Pete Taylor and we were very unsatisfied. That was just our experience.

Once you are finished at the Falls, you will be approached by locals within the park area, to buy souvenirs, Blue Mountain Coffee, and local wares. These locals are relentless in their selling tactics. Be firm, look straight ahead and keep walking.

The ride from Montego Bay to Ochos Rios is long, no doubt. Bring along some small toys or books to keep your children occupied. No one knows your child's patience level more than you. You will have to be the one to judge whether the drive will be too much for them to handle.

I would definitely go to Dunn's River Falls. It's beautiful.

Bring your waterproof camera and water shoes. They are a must for the falls.

A'ndrea
Old 06-30-2007, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the info. Your clothes don't get wet?
Old 06-30-2007, 08:04 PM
The stalls selling souvenirs inside the park are no better. Just walk past that area. The ones outside will offer to give you "free beads" or whatever else they are trying to push. NOTHING in Jamaica is free. If you take the free item they will then want a tip. If you want Blue Mountain coffee I would not buy it from any of those small vendors, most likely not really what they claim.

The falls are worth seeing though. I have some pictures on my website if you want to get an idea of what to expect.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 07-01-2007, 10:55 AM

thanks, the pictures are beautiful.

Did anyone do the dolphin encounter here (part of the Carnival package)? 6year old is to young to swim with dolphins.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:06 AM

I did Dunn's in 96. It was awesome to see and do. The reward for climbing to the top took away from the experience. It was a forced walk through of harrassment by flea market vendors.

Now that was 11 years ago. We were on this subject a few months ago and I asked if it had changed. I was told no. I agree that it is something as a must do. No regrets, just be prepared.

I would take A'ndrea's and Larry's advice. It was a long while back for me.

Going in was good, the middle was awesome, the finish left a bad taste. Hopefully is better now as it is truly a natural wonder to see.

Just my opinion from a long while back

IslandCruz
Old 07-02-2007, 12:16 AM

glynette, Sorry I didn't see the clothes getting wet question. YES they get all wet! There is one pool on the falls that is several feet deep.

IslandCruz
Old 07-02-2007, 01:05 PM

Hi glynette, if the children are 6 and 10, you will need to pay particular attention to them, especially the one that is 6, as the climb can be slippery and tricky; you don't want to ruin the vacation with a mean bruise. We have done the falls twice as when we were in Jamaica a second time friends wanted us to go with them. I was quite impressed with the automatice weapons that the police or military carried around. We would NEVER get into the market area as its a pain and best to head away once you make it to the top. You will enjoy your time there!

Peter1

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-02-2007, 01:45 PM

Yes, Dunns river falls are great. But the ride of two hours is scary. If you dock in Ocho Rios, its not bad at all (like 15 or 20 mins)

from Montego Bay, its a 2 hour bus ride (more like roller coaster ride of death) across heavily traveled pathways (I could not honestly call them roads)

DO NOT TAKE THE BEADS! Especially before you go up the falls. Even if you are willing to pay a "tip" to get free beads, they are nothing more than seeds and as soon as they get wet, they will fall apart.

You WILL get wet.. completely soaked. Bring water socks/shoes. This is not the easiest climb in the world, but your young ones can do it (with a little help here and there). Our girls were 12 and 10 when they went and had no problems.

It really is nice to see the falls. But from montego bay, it is expensive. We personally have no need to ever get off the ship in Jamaica
but we have already been there twice. So if this post sounded very negative towards the island, temper it with the fact that we have already seen what we wished to see there.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 07-02-2007, 01:57 PM

thank you for your honesty. I think we may go to a beach close to the ship. Have you done that? Did the local "beggars" leave you alone?

Closed Thread

Tags
beggars, boat, carnival, cruise, dunn, dunns, fall, falls, jamacia, jamaica, pete, reviews, river, taylor, walk