Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 06:32 AM

Okay, when my family took our Washington DC trip last year each of the boys had a different amount of spending money, so I got each of them a Visa gift card with that amount of money on it. It saved me from trying to keep track and them from carrying cash that could be lost or stolen. When we go to the Bahamas next month I'm thinking about doing the same thing but am not quite sure how universal Visa is accepted in the Bahamas, so for everyone that's been to the Bahamas how well accepted is Visa? (And actually it's a question for me too, how much cash should I bring ashore?)

Also, is it possible for each child to have their on board account linked to their own credit card? It would make it easier if they wanted to buy anything on board. As always thanks for everyone's help!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 AM

Sparks-

VISA is widely accepted but they would still need some cash if they are planning on buying any trinkets. They are going to need cash to buy drinks etc...

As far as linking a different card to each person, I have tried that, without success. I don't think the computer system is set up to allow it. They always look at me like I grew horns when I ask them to set it up that way. You can dis-allow them to sign for stuff but that doesn't solve the problem. Maybe someone else has had better luck in this area and gave give you some advice?
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-08-2009, 08:51 AM

Some VISA gift cards are only good in the US. See the FAQ section of the VISA website for info on how to tell if your gift card can be used outside of the US.

VISA Gift Card FAQ

Old 01-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Another consideration is that a gift card will have to be loaded to at least whatever the cash minimum is for a shipboard account. I don't know what NCL's minimum is. Their website is STILL down and has been all week, unless you speak German (ncl.de works). Carnival is $200 for a 7 night cruise. I wouldn't think NCL would be much different. The line would also put a hold on the card, so depending on how much money you loaded it with they may not have enough available credit to spend ashore.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Update:

The ncl.eu website is in English. It lists a cash deposit of $75 per day/per person -- $525 per person for a 7 night cruise. I assume this would mean each Visa gift card would need at least $525 on it.

Just guessing here. As always, the best advice is to call NCL and ask. Then call again and see if you get the same answer.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:30 AM

Using the card for the ship was a last minute thought that I had, hoping it would make things easier. I guess I'll just have to keep track of each kids' purchases and use my card or cash as the occasion calls for.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
account, bahamas, bring, card, cards, cash, certificates, cheap, credit, cruise, gift, held, money, ncl, onboard, plastic, visa