Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 09:49 PM

I stayed at the Sheraton the last time I took a cruise from San Juan. Like others said, it was right at the port for Carnival Destiny. You can see the ship from your room. They have a trolley that you can take to old-town. We took the trolley, explored, and were able to walk back. It was fantastic.

MamaofEnS
Carnival Ecstasy June 2002
Carnival Elation August 2000
Celebrity Century June 1998
Carnival Carnivale August 1993

Old 05-19-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
As for the time of boarding
My recommendation is to board ship the early as you can, remember that you will be the day before on Puerto Rico and after you board ship you can still go out and see old San Juan, please guys if I am wrong let me know, but since PR is one of your visiting port you just check in and after getting all ready the dining room table, the seating and your luggage on the cabin you can still go out and visit the old San Juan.
Casanova - let me get this straight. Are you saying that once you embark onto the ship in San Juan, you are allowed to get back off and visit the area until it is time to leave? My cruise departs San Juan at 8 (or 10, not sure) but we would board much earlier (around 12 or so).

Has anyone done this?

And Bub - I've booked the Embassy Suites in San Juan for two days before my cruise. $160 a night (it was at least, not sure if the price has gone up). I personally know two different groups that gave it very good reviews. Very close to the airport, all rooms are suites, includes complimentary breakfast and happy hour.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:57 PM

Thanks CF,Mike and everyone for the input. Now I guess we need to hear from someone who has boarded the ship and then got back off to visit Old San Juan. If you have done this please let us know.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Here is the deal Mike on departure day:

Adventure of the seas departs at 9:00 pm. as I remember.

Carnival Destiny departs after that, at 10:00 pm

I just call carnival 1-888-carnival and the person at the phone told me you can go to old San Juan even on the first day, embarking day, after you board ship since is a port like Antigua or other ports.
So as far as I know you can do it you can visit old San Juan the very first day of cruising, after checking in and finish with your fun card, at least is what they told me...
Old 05-21-2008, 07:48 AM

Thanks Casanova - I'm not sure if we will take advantage of that since we will be in San Juan for a few days before the cruise anyway, but it's good to know we have the option.

And another question - the AOS is at a separate pier than the other ships, correct? Where are the piers in relation to the Embassy Suites (right near SJU) and how long will it take us to get there? What is the best way to get there and how much does it cost?
Old 05-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MiketheKid:
the AOS is at a separate pier than the other ships, correct? Where are the piers in relation to the Embassy Suites (right near SJU) and how long will it take us to get there? What is the best way to get there and how much does it cost?
Yes the Adventure (AOS) is in the pier outside of the old San Juan, like a 10 minutes waking I guess from it.

In relation to embassy suite hotel since is near the airport my best guess 15 minutes by taxi and like $20 fee, for transportation taxi is a good option since the can take you directly and the know San juan, also renting a car at the airport and the hotel can give you any needed info.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribe, check, compare, cruise, embarking, hilton, hotel, juan, luggage, marriott, port, prior, san