Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2005, 07:06 PM

Does anyone have a suggestion of what we could do while in Belize on our own, rather than booking an excursion? I have read many suggestions for the cave tubing, but wondered if anyone has discovered a special location on their own that you would recommend.

Edit: Moved to Caribbean Port Chat. RF
Old 09-06-2005, 08:21 PM

hey, me too. I need to know what there is there. All I could find were reviews about theft and danger. Everything I read said to stay out of the city. I read that there is not much shopping at all. I was looking forward to local arts and crafts. Hope somebody replies to this discussion.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:00 PM

I would not do Belize city on your own, it's a slum. If you want to go alone at least take a tender to one of the cays or small islands such as Caye Cauker. I did a private tour with a American owned company called Coral Breeze limited I did the shark/ray alley snorkle and snorkled with stingrays and a nurse shark it was very nice, had some beach time at Caye Cauker. I would reccomend this tour company, they offer several tours, Altun Ha Mayan Ruins, A day at the Beach, etc...

Couples Resorts: All Inclusive
Old 01-15-2006, 08:26 PM

Hi, my husband and i went there last year.. Belize isn't tourist friendly... There is no where I would go without an excursion. We did the 4X4/hiking /boating tour it was great and took the whole time we were there and on the way you can see how bad it is there. Just to give you an idea.. They filter rain water from their rooftops into their water heaters.. It looks like it should be abandoned there. I would do an excursion or stay on the boat and do the spa for half price
Old 01-16-2006, 02:09 PM

I guess I'm brave because we did Belize on our own. We found a neat little local craft shop and paid about 1/2 price for the same kinds of things (and more) that they have near the pier. We ended up walking around, then taking a taxi for a tour of the island. Belize is definitely a poor country, but there are beautiful spots, some nice old buildings etc. Our cab driver was really friendly and we had a good chat about the island. We ended up spending no more than $30 for our morning there including the tour, tip and a few purchases from the craft shop.

RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2005
Caribbean Princess 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Old 01-16-2006, 04:34 PM

I agree with many here by saying don't do it on your own. The people are very pushy and I would not feel safe travelling anywhere in that city. Do an excursion but do not travel off on your own in the city.

Closed Thread

Tags
belize, city, hiking, port, tour, touring