Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2005, 06:03 AM

I would love to hear from anyone who has gone river tubing in Ochos Rios or visited the turtle farm in Grand Cayman. We are leaving on a cruise in about two weeks and we have two daughters, ages 8 and 13. I am trying to book excursions that would be fun for them, as well as for my husband and myself. Any ideas?
Old 09-23-2005, 07:20 AM

The turtle farm is not funny. Watching hundreds of turtles in small pools is really humiliating.
I was shocked, to see that and I think I could be shocking for children too.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:58 PM

River tubing in Ocho Rios is great fun and I am sure your children will enjoy it. However, I must admit that I was less than impressed with the Turtle Farm. I think I would suggest the Stingray City Tour in Grand Cayman. It is truly a memorable experience for the whole family.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 09-23-2005, 05:59 PM

Nancy,

When you went river tubing, did you book it through your cruise ship or with a private tour operator? What did you do after the tubing? How long did the tubing trip last? Thanks so much!
Old 09-24-2005, 06:57 AM

aswest,
We booked our tour on our own, with Phil Lafayette. We took his Dunns River Falls / River Tubing and lunch combo excursion (I think it was about $50 pp). But, the river tubing portion was about an hour and I believe he offers separate river tubing trips.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 09-25-2005, 12:18 AM

My wife and I went on the river tubing excursion last year and we really didn't like it that much. For every 2 people, there was a "guide" that stayed with you the entire time. He hung on to our tubes and talked to us the entire time, so we really didn't get to just talk with each other and enjoy the experience by ourselves. At the end, each of the guides waits for you to pony up a tip. Our guide said "I hope you will remember me at the end of our trip today" (hint, hint). My tip was based more on "here, now stay away from me" than anything else. This all said, though, it's definitely a different strokes for different folks thing, as I've seen several posts where people enjoy this excursion. We didn't have our kids with us, so maybe we would have had more fun with them.

Tom
Old 09-25-2005, 06:35 AM

Tom,

Did you book the tubing excursion through your cruise ship or did you go with a private tour operator?

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2005, 11:29 PM

We booked it through the ship...
Old 09-26-2005, 10:09 PM

We signed up for the catamaran sail to Stingray City, where we swam with the stingrays and fed them as well. This excursion has been our favorite out of any that we have taken on 4 cruises. It is fun for all ages and you will only be in waist high water. As for Ochos Rios, our travel agent said that nothing on shore was een worth getting off the ship for, so we did not. We did go onshore for a 10 minute walk to the shops, but quickly returned after being stopped by many locals trying to sell us drugs.
Talked to several people who did the Dunns Falls waterfall and all said that it was overbooked and not worth the expense.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:39 AM

I'm really beginning to rethink our plans. We had pretty much decided to go river tubing with Peat Taylor, but now I'm not so sure it's a good idea. I've heard many good things about Peat, but will we still be solicited to buy drugs? That's just something we don't want our daughters to be subjected to. Should we stay on the ship or take our chances? HELP!

Closed Thread

Tags
cayman, cruise, excursion, farm, farms, grand, island, ocho, offered, port, private, rios, river, tubing, turtle