Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2003, 07:51 AM

We are going on the Sovereign in April with two other families. It's their first cruise, and they are not interested in booking any excursions. They are interested in seeing the Atlantis. If we take a cab ride over to Paradise Island how much of the resort will we have access to? Any tips would be appreciated. We want their first trip beyond Myrtle Beach to be memorable.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:51 AM

We are going on the Sovereign in April with two other families. It's their first cruise, and they are not interested in booking any excursions. They are interested in seeing the Atlantis. If we take a cab ride over to Paradise Island how much of the resort will we have access to? Any tips would be appreciated. We want their first trip beyond Myrtle Beach to be memorable.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:56 AM

Hi! I was reading one of the reviews just yesterday and someone was talking about that very thing. They recommended taking the cab, because it's a rather long hike in the hot sun, and the cab is very inexpensive -- something like ten dollars if i recall correctly.

They said they got to look around the resort AND got to go through the underwater aquarium! But they didn't mention whether this cost extra or not.

Best wishes!
Old 03-08-2003, 11:18 AM

We just got back from an Eastern Caribbean trip and we stopped in Nassau. There are two options...a cab or there's a passenger ferry/boat that will drop you off as well. The cab will take you right to the hotel whereas the ferry will drop you off and you have to walk a few minutes. The ferry is a little cheaper (I think it was like 5 or 7.00), but either way - they will love the Atlantis. It's really cool. They have tours available and it will cost you to see the hotel but if you aren't interested in paying for the tour, you can walk around the hotel and see the Aquarium. They'll love it.

Have fun!!!
Old 03-08-2003, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the input. All is appreciated.
Pennie
Old 03-10-2003, 10:24 AM

Hi! I was reading your comments above re Atlantis.

Can you tell me please about your personal experience in getting off the ship at the Atlantis resort, what the local crowds are like at the pier, any hassles, etc? I was reading a review that said some of the locals there were trying to sell marijuana and other illegal things to the passengers who were getting off the ship to look around the Atlantis.

It sounds like a scary uncomfortable situation. We're not sure whether we shouldn't just stay on the ship the whole time!

Thanks for any info, opinions, etc.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:26 AM

More questions -- does it cost anything to get off the ship there?

Does it cost to look around the Atlantis?

Does it cost to go through the Atlantis aquarium?

Do you have to sign up ahead of time to get off the ship and look around there, or can you wait until the last minute to make up your mind?

Thanks for any info!
Old 03-10-2003, 05:14 PM

Hi! Sorry, I just now checked the chat site, so sorry if it took awhile for me to answer. About the Atlantis....your cruise ship will dock in Nassau and Atlantis is on Paradise Island. It does not cost anything to get off the ship - and I would recommend getting off and just walking around the little stores close by - you can find some good bargains. But, if you want to go to Atlantis...I highly recommend going - it's a fabulous hotel and just amazing how it was built and layed out. To tour the entire hotel - that will cost some money (I forget how much) but if you just want to walk around the hotel itself, it's free to the public. They have some aquariums in the hotel itself and you can walk around and see some sea life there. You will see some awesome creatures but I also recommend the other aquariums that you actually have to pay to get in - they are out of this world. But, it's whatever you want to do and how you feel. About the safety part and people selling marijuana - I didn't run into anyone like this and I thought the island was just as safe as any of the other ones. I feel like all the islands have those kind of people and if you mind your own business - I don't think people will approach you. But, we didn't have any problem with the locals. Most of them are trying to get you to take their taxi or braid your hair. I have rather long hair and I got asked about a zillion times if I wanted my hair braided! But...that's fine - I didn't mind, I was on vacation. To sum it all up - you can definitely wait til the day you are docked at Nassau to get off the ship and if you decide to see Atlantis...I would recommend you go! It's worth the money.

Have fun and let me know if you have any more questions or if I answered everything!
Old 03-11-2003, 04:59 AM

Hey thanks for this info! I really appreciate it, and am sure relieved to hear you didn't have any problems with drug pushers!

No need to apologize for the delay, it wasn't really a delay anyway I try to check in to read here every day but sometimes life gets kind of busy and i don't even have time to sit down at the computer for days at a time.

Anyway, thanks again so much!
Old 03-12-2003, 05:55 PM

Wow, I'm so glad to hear others have had a similar experience as I. I agree, if you mind your own business and not even show a hint of interest, or better yet, avoiding eye contact would be even better, they won't even approach you. But let it be known, the drug pushers are there.

Amy

Closed Thread

Tags
aquariums, atlanits, atlantis, bahamas, braided, cab, cost, cruise, forum, hair, island, money, paradise, tips, walk