Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2005, 03:17 AM

we are leaving tomorrow to go to vacation-- one stop is costa maya- anything exciting to do there for kids in their 20's? anyway to see the ruins cheaply-? I would love any info on this place thanks-

Edit: Moved to Caribbean Port Chat. RF
Old 12-15-2005, 05:35 AM

The cruise ship won't tell you about Mahahual, or they'll tell you it's not safe to do things other that what the cruise ship offers. DON'T BELIEVE IT!!! We took a cab ride ($5 per person round trip) to Mahahual and are so glad we did. We never felt unsafe at any time.

Where the taxis drop you off is a dirt road with stores on either side. Ocean is on the left. We walked about 1/4 mile to a Beach Bar called Buluche which was amazing. Look for the green chairs. The beers were cheap (2 Dos Equis for $3) and they had great chips and salsa. I suggest you walk quite a distance and check everything out before making a purchase. The further you go, the cheaper and less busy it is.

The water was amazing. It was very calm, clear, and lagoon-like because the waves break on a sandbar about 150 yards out. The water is very shallow. We were able to walk out over 100 feet and the water never got above our waist (I'm only 5' 5") . There is a guy who walked the beach with a huge lizard for pictures. Have your camera ready, it was amazing. There were also other vendors who walked the beach selling bracelets, purses, etc.

What I liked most of all is that Mahahual is not developed like most ports. Once you get away from the cruise-ship "Puerto Costa Maya" then you enter paradise. No large hotel resorts and no chain restaurants. If your idea of fun is playing in the water, relaxing under coconut palm trees on the beach, eating great authentic Mexican food, and getting some really good deals in the local shops then you should like Mahahual.

We never had any problem with "Montezuma's Revenge" (a.k.a diarrhea).

One note.....bring cash (American dollars). There are not very many places that accept credit cards in Mahahual. Also show them only the cash you are willing to pay for an item and tell them that is all you have. We were able to get a belt listed for $40 and a silver bracelet listed for $23 for only $20 total by doing this. A great deal!

Have fun!!!
Old 12-16-2005, 03:20 PM

new2cruise,
I can't agree more! Mahuhual is one of my favorite ports and was a most pleasant surprise the first time I visited.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 12-17-2005, 09:24 PM

Just returned last week from Costa Maya and had a great time there. Check out the Tequila Beach Club and if you like snorkling, do it from their beach and go out to the reef and check out all the great fish and coral.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:09 PM

How did you get to the Tequila Beach Club? It sounds like just what we want to do.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:50 AM

My husband and I were in Costa Maya reciently and we did the ATV Adventure and loved it, you drive your own ATV and see tons thats out from the Cruise Line Port. Even saw a spider Monkey up in the trees.

Inspiration 11/26/05
Old 12-21-2005, 12:49 PM

Is Mahahual suitable for families? We will be travellig with our 4 kids (11, 9, 2 1/2 and 1). We were expecting to go to Cozumel and Playa Mia, but we just found out that the Carnival Victory will no longer be calling there and instead going to Costa Maya. Given the kids, our idea of a great shore excursion is a beach with little wawes and available shade. Thanks in advance
Old 01-03-2006, 08:52 AM

Mahahual is definetly fine for children. There is also a beach right in the port there by the Banditos Restaurant.

Have fun!
Old 01-13-2006, 10:50 PM

just wondering about Mahahual, is it far away from the dock? and also is there lockers avaliable where we can put our stuff? We will be stopping at grand cayman, belize, roatan island hondorus, and costa maya, we will be doing a lot of beach stuff. Just wondering how safe it is or where should we keep our stuff?

carmen

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, coasta, costa, cruise, mahahual, maya, port, puerto, resort, reviews, tequila, tequilla