Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2007, 11:31 AM

Hello,

I had to cancel my scheduled cruise, which I am still upset over, but making plans for another date at a much later time. I saw some pictures of Martinique (Sp?) and it looks like paradise. I wanted to know if any of the carnival ships or any other cruise line, goes to this island? If so, which one? Would this be considered the Southern Caribbean? Are there any ships that leave from Florida? Has anyone been to any southern caribbean islands and your thoughts? I was scheduled to go to Nassau and Half Moon Cay, besides the location what are there differences? I have never cruised before. Thank you in advance!
Old 02-06-2007, 02:11 PM

Yes, I believe it is part of a southern itinerary and I arrived on Celebrity Millennium but I saw Carnival and Royal Caribbean there as well.

My impression was that the locals were not that friendly unless you spoke French. When I spoke in English it was if I offended them. The shops close to the pier are intersting and that is about all we saw. I guess you would have to investigate going further inland, and maybe a few more people will respond with better information.

Nassau is okay but it wouldn't bother me if I didn't stop there for a while. You have the straw market, Atlantis and tours of the island. There are other posts on Nassau that will be more complete
Old 02-06-2007, 02:32 PM

Princess does some great southern Caribbean itineraries. Martinique is not one of my favorite ports, but that is me. When we first went there, they had Mercedes for taxi's and it was so clean. We were there last October and did not even bother to go into town. We went on a catamaran sail/snorkel to a bat cave that was ok. Of course, after Grenada, most of the snorkeling paled in comparison to Flamingo Bay in Grenada. I do hope you get to cruise soon, I know you were disappointed having to cancel. The upside is you have one to look forward to. Best wishes!
Old 02-16-2007, 03:55 PM

Penny and I went on the same Princess Intinerary about a month apart. I agree with Penny, Martinique as a cruise port really wasn't that great. My wife and I are beach people and we went to a beach that was very ugly. Yes this intinerary through Princess was coined as a Southern Caribbean Cruise. Leaving from Ft. Lauderdale it went to Grenada, Martinique, St. Lucia, St. Thomas and Antiqua and the Bahamas. I think the reason we didn't really enjoy our Martinique day was that we had to be back on the boat by 2:00pm so it didn't leave us enough time to find the perfect beach. Some other people on our ship said they enjoyed thier interior island excursions.

Closed Thread

Tags
bat, beach, caribbean, cave, cruise, line, martinique, martinque, snorkeling, southern