Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/)
-   -   Snorkeling recommendations? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/caribbean-port-chat/2911-snorkeling-recommendations.html)

MaureenNC 05-21-2009 06:50 PM

Hello all- we are booked on the Carnival Glory for July 4-11. I was wondering if some of you could post your ideas for the best snorkeling at our ports (St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Nassau). We have 7 year old twins who are fairly good swimmers, but they have never been snorkeling before. I was hoping that maybe there is someplace where the water is calm and not too deep.

Any thoughts would be appreciated-thanks!

Dwayne 05-21-2009 08:47 PM

On St. Thomas, Megans Bay has calm, clear, and shallow water. It is not great for snorkeling to see fish though as it is mostly sand. It would be a great place for them to learn though.

I haven't snorkeled on St. Maarten and Nassau for a long time.

Dwayne

penny3333 05-22-2009 05:48 AM

Hi MaureenNC, I really wouldn't waste my money in St. Maarten. We've done 3 snorkeling trips there and there wasn't much to see. The water is clear, but there wasn't a great deal of colorful sea life, coral was kind of non-existant.

If you're up for a little traveling, when you get to St. Thomas, take the ferry to St. John and go to Trunk Bay. There is a self-guided snorkel trail about 50 yards from the beach, normally, if there's not a front moving through, the water is like glass and crystal clear. It's awesome, one of the top 10 beaches in the world, it's also a marine park. There are some great catamaran/sail excursions to Buck Island as well. Sapphire Beach on St. Thomas is good for snorkeling, IF the wind isn't blowing too hard. There are lots of rocks getting into the water, the north end is the best entrance, but there's some good coral and fish there. Megan's and Coki are good. Of the two, Coki probably has the better snorkeling, but it can get very choppy there.

It's been ages since I snorkled in Nassau, too. But just about everywhere in the Bahamas is good snorkeling. Coral reefs seem to abound in the Bahamas. Normally, I recommend going to the Atlantis (take a cab over) and after touring Atlantis, go to Cabbage Beach, which is adjacent to the property. It's a free beach. I don't remember what the snorkeling was like there. Last July when I was there, we just toured Nassau a bit and I didn't get to snorkel.

Hope this helps a little.

spoheat 05-22-2009 06:12 AM

I second the opinion on Trunk Bay. We have also had good luck on Coki Beach, also on St. Thomas. We have our own equipment--I know there is good rental at Trunk, don't know about Coki--Anyone?

Of the ports you mentioned St. Thomas will give you your best snorkelling.

Dwayne 05-22-2009 09:41 PM

If you decide on Trunk Bay, (my favorite) there is a great post by Jim C. in the FAQ section about how to get there.

Here is a link to it.

Dwayne

poormom 05-23-2009 05:43 PM

We love Coki Beach. You can rent equipment for 5 dollars... no need for fins, and you can see fish while you're standing in shallow water.
You can also feed the fish with dog bones they sell at the beach.
It not as pristine as St. John, but the 'beach people' are harmless.
Trunk Bay is beautiful, but when you start multiplying the transportation and beach admission by 4 it adds up quickly.

Dwayne 05-23-2009 07:18 PM

Quote:

Trunk Bay is beautiful, but when you start multiplying the transportation and beach admission by 4 it adds up quickly.
Yes it can! I haven't tried Coki yet, it is on my list though.http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gif

Dwayne

MaureenNC 05-26-2009 11:25 AM

Thank you all so much for the great recommendations! I can't wait! I haven't been to the Caribbean in 20+ years, so I think we might stick with the ship excursions for this trip (hubby would be much too nervous about missing the boat!). Next time however, I'll be back here looking for the bargains.

I think I might try to buy some snorkel equipment and let the girls practice before we go...

You all are great- thanks again!