Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Caribbean Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2007, 12:32 PM

What cruise lines or ships offer a shore excursion to Chichen Itza?

I know about Rhapsody of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, Voyager of the Seas, and Ecstasy. What others are there?

Holland Am doesn't now.

Direct replies to prather2902 at verizon dot net would be appreciated.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:38 PM

Prather, Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

I mostly just keep up with Carnival, but can add to your list Carnival Triumph. I will only reply here, I have this thing about giving strangers my email.

I met a nice young college honeymooners couple that did this tour. They loved it, and this was the highlight for them. They said it was a bit exhausting, but worth it. We were in Progreso on the Solstace day in March 02, it was the day the sun is just right and makes a shadow on the pyrimid like a snake comming down. It is a Mayan holiday and school was out that day and lots of festivities.

If you would like the dates for the Triumph, post back or PM me.

Best Regards,
IslandCruz
Old 05-12-2007, 07:14 AM

Not according th the Carnival web site.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:15 AM

Not according to the Carnival web site.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:52 PM

Hi Prather, I could not find it either on the site. I was going by the newest catalog page 61. I called and sure enough they cancelled the cruises. They were Nov. 4th 18th Dec. 2nd 16th and 30th. Sorry to pass along that info. So they said currently is only Ecstasy as of now.

That would have been a good cruise though it left New Orleans and to Progreso, Cozumel, and Belize

Hope you find one you like, and good luck,
IslandCruz
Old 05-14-2007, 08:10 AM
If you can't find a cruise that has a tour to Chichen Itza I would strongly encourage you to fly to Cancun and stay in an all exclusive so you can hop on a tour bus and see the ruins. I mean it was the most awesome place I have ever been to in all my 61 years. We climbed the temple of Kukulcan and spent the entire day in the wonderment of this amazing place. Our Mayan tour guide stayed with us and told us each and every thing we were seeing. Its a long distance into the jungle to get to it, but it was an air conditioned bus so wasn't bad. I mean this place is wayyyyy out in the middle of no where.
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
Old 05-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Banned

We also took an "air-conditioned" bus from Cancun to Chichen Itza. Long ride, like baby doll said. I believe it took us 3 hours each way. It was the last week in June, ungodly hot and humid, and the "air-conditioned" bus couldn't keep up.
Once we arrived, what a spectacular sight. Climbing the temple was surreal. Coming down backwards, narrow steps and holding onto the chain was nerve racking.

It's amazing to see what the Mayans built.
A'ndrea
Old 05-15-2007, 07:38 PM

We went to Chichen Itza while vacationing in Cozumel last spring. Including the ferry from the island to the mainland, we were gone for 12+ hours. I don't see how that can be done on a cruise excursion. It was so hot in March, I can't imagine going in the middle of the summer. We couldn't climb the pyramid which will forever disappoint my husband. Yes the buses are big and air conditioned but you are still pretty cramped and it's a lot of stops/starts.

It is definitely an amazing site but I'm not sure if it's worth an ENTIRE day.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-15-2007, 10:24 PM
I did the butt slide on the way down. The rock steps were really smooth so I know I wasn't the only one that ever came down that way. It took me so long to get to the top all the people clapped when I finally made it. I must have looked pretty silly struggling to get to the top, but I knew if not that day I would never have the opportunity or health to do it at another visit. Some people have died when they fell and at one time they thought of closing it off to people climbing it, but it was a lifetime memory and I'm so glad they still have it open. We are trying to do all these wonderful things now while we are still in good health to do it. I would have been like your husband Ipjpane with truly disappointment not being able to climb the temple.
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN

Closed Thread

Tags
chechen, chichen, chitchin, chitzen, cruise, cruises, excursion, excursions, holland, itza, lines, reviews, ruins, ship, ships, shore